Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
I am reposting this in iPhone forums as I got zero traction in Apple Services. I even had 2 Apple cases and in both situation, I got crickets for the responses. Please see the issue below. I wonder if anyone has this problem and found a solution? I am at this point so upset that something so basic does not function properly, that I am ready to move my pictures to a different service and stop paying for iCloud storage as clearly Apple can't figure out this.

I have 15+ years of pictures and noticed that once I enabled iCloud Photo Shared Library, my "year' view is messed up! If I switch to 'Both Libraries' view, there are gaps in year view, but if I switch to 'Shared only' I see every single year.

Both libraries
both.jpg

Shared view

shared.jpg

Is anyone experiencing the same issue? Any idea how to fix it?

schnitzel-pretzel

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2023
Kentucky
Yikes, no I am not experiencing this, but I generally agree with your solution. To be honest, I never trusted iCloud Photos to begin with, after hearing stories like this, or for example stories where people said their high quality photos could not be downloaded and they could only download lower quality versions of their photos.

I much prefer to simply have SSDs with my photos on them. That way I'm not relying on Apple's software quality to be able to access my photos.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
Yikes, no I am not experiencing this, but I generally agree with your solution. To be honest, I never trusted iCloud Photos to begin with, after hearing stories like this, or for example stories where people said their high quality photos could not be downloaded and they could only download lower quality versions of their photos.

I much prefer to simply have SSDs with my photos on them. That way I'm not relying on Apple's software quality to be able to access my photos.
I am ticked off a bit by this and might reconsider if I want to continue to use iCloud Photos and shared libraries and pay for the storage. I feel I can make a decent backups using OneDrive or keep it locally - just like I did it before.

gibbous_04_shaper

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2024
Yep, I do have the same issue, and many others.
But while trying to receive photos from non-apple family, apple is still better than Google imho

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.