Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Merode

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 5, 2013
Warsaw, Poland
I have recently enabled iCloud Photos library on my iPhone and my Mac. To my surprise, I noticed duplicates are generated for each picture. I sync my iPhone with Photos app on Mac by opening it and importing pictures. Could this be the reason? I remember there was a way to just sync select albums with iPhone. Would such way 'entangle' both libraries and resolve the issue?

I would love for both libraries to be 'connected' - I add picture on this device, it shows up on the other automatically. I edit a picture, it updates on the other device.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
I would love for both libraries to be 'connected' - I add picture on this device, it shows up on the other automatically. I edit a picture, it updates on the other device.

The answer to this is to stop importing photos to your mac by plugging the phone in. Let iCloud Photos manage the job of synchronising them. It's literally designed to do exactly what you want.

Merode

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 5, 2013
Warsaw, Poland
The answer to this is to stop importing photos to your mac by plugging the phone in. Let iCloud Photos manage the job of synchronising them. It's literally designed to do exactly what you want.
Ok, but what about old pictures that were synchronized before I even turned it on (over 23000)?

Merode

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 5, 2013
Warsaw, Poland
Thanks for the help. U guess I'm in for some fun. If I delete picture on my iPhone, will it automatically be deleted in the cloud?

JonnyBlaze

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2008
UK
Don’t know if you have sorted this already, but it might help you to checkping the 'imports' folder in photos on your Mac. That should just show the imported versions, which maybe, and be careful, if you deleted all of those would be an easier way to delete the duplicates. I'm not sure if that will work, i hope so, but be careful!

Reactions: nicho

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Don’t know if you have sorted this already, but it might help you to checkping the 'imports' folder in photos on your Mac. That should just show the imported versions, which maybe, and be careful, if you deleted all of those would be an easier way to delete the duplicates. I'm not sure if that will work, i hope so, but be careful!

A note of caution on this method: might be a bug on my end, but I have somehow ended up with 95% of my library classified as "imports" on my mac despite barely a few hundred actually being imported.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.