Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

81Tiger04

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
SC
Back in the day, I used to backup my iPhone each day or so to my MBP. My main purpose was so that all of my pictures were stored on my MBP. Then along came iCloud and my 200GB account and I can't remember the last time I did this.

So here's my question: Are my pics stored in iCloud permanently (as long as I maintain the account)? I ask because I'm about to sell my iPhone and erase everything/factory reset. I just want to make sure I don't lose my pictures.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Back in the day, I used to backup my iPhone each day or so to my MBP. My main purpose was so that all of my pictures were stored on my MBP. Then along came iCloud and my 200GB account and I can't remember the last time I did this.

So here's my question: Are my pics stored in iCloud permanently (as long as I maintain the account)? I ask because I'm about to sell my iPhone and erase everything/factory reset. I just want to make sure I don't lose my pictures.

I would suggest checking iCloud.com first to make sure everything is there. If pics on your Mac are up to date then they likely will.

iCloud syncs specific commands so you would literally need to delete the photos from the photo app or settings > iCloud > manage store to remove them from iCloud and cause that command to sync across iCloud to your other devices. Wiping your iPhone does not do this. You will be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.