Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

umbilical

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 3, 2008
FL, USA
I try to discover why I have the recovery key but is not add it to my Apple ID.

I have in my password manager a recovery key tied to my Apple ID login, that starts with RK-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

But I go to iCloud and I see there's no recovery key add it. , in that section says "A recovery key is a 28-character code that you keep in a safe place. You can use it to recover your data if you lose access to your account"

So it seems the recovery key is 28 characters, so where's the RK comes from? are 16 characters!

I don't remember remove the recovery key but I'm not 100% sure. So maybe I remove the 16 char at some point and new ones are 28 char? I just say... again I try to discover why I have the recovery key but is not add it to my Apple ID.

Thanks.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
That RK code isn't an iCloud recovery key. An iCloud recovery key is seven groups of four characters, like this:

XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

To set a recovery key for your AppleID, follow Apple's instructions:

As for that old key you have, maybe it's for something else. I'd just move it to a new note in your password manager and save it just in case you remember what it's for.

Reactions: umbilical

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
RK- keys are from the old two step verification (not to be confused with the current two factor authentication) system.

So the RK key is useless.

Reactions: umbilical

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
And be VERY CAUTIOUS about setting up an Apple ID recovery key. With RK enabled, you lose access to “Account Recovery” so if the RK is lost, >or the trusted phone number is inaccessible<, you could permanently lose access to your Apple ID. It is truly a “more secure” method, and that requires you to maintain the recovery methods more securely.

Reactions: Brian33

umbilical

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 3, 2008
FL, USA
RK- keys are from the old two step verification (not to be confused with the current two factor authentication) system.

So the RK key is useless.

Oh! I think remember it now, I think I remove that 2FA method due I set YubiKeys to my account, so I didn't need the RK's but leave it in my pass manager due I didn't know if I need it anymore.

I have this now:

umbilical

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 3, 2008
FL, USA
And be VERY CAUTIOUS about setting up an Apple ID recovery key. With RK enabled, you lose access to “Account Recovery” so if the RK is lost, >or the trusted phone number is inaccessible<, you could permanently lose access to your Apple ID. It is truly a “more secure” method, and that requires you to maintain the recovery methods more securely.
I keep the RK in my password manager (but it seems clearly I was remove it in favor to YubiKeys) just in case... with a note telling something like "this 2FA Key is useless, it was used before yubikeys".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.