Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ben428

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2011
My Reminders are synced through iCloud to an iPhone SE, an iPod Touch, an iPad, and a Mac. Everything works fine if I create/delete/complete reminders exclusively on the iPhone. But if I create or complete a reminder on another device, it doesn't seem to sync until I not only open the Reminders app on my phone but initiate a sync by making a change of some kind. My impression is that this has been true for years, so not specific to iOS 12.

i lined up all four devices and tried creating/deleting/completing reminders on each, and found that changes made on any device were reflected on the Mac and the iPad immediately, but on both the iPod and the iPhone, changes made elsewhere weren't reflected until I made a change locally and prompted a sync. I don't really care about the iPod but it drives me nuts that changes made on the Mac and iPad aren't reflected on the phone.

On the phone, I tried turning off Reminders in the iCloud settings (and deleting all of the reminders when prompted), waiting 10 minutes, and then turning it back on. Not only did it not fix the problem, but none of my existing Reminders reappeared on the phone until I added a new Reminder, prompting it to sync and all of the existing Reminders to download.

I can't find any differences in settings between the iPad, where changes are reflected immediately, and the iPhone, where they aren't. It doesn't look like there are any settings for Background App Refresh for Reminders. Notification settings are all on. Reminders were set to sync a month back; I changed it to sync all reminders to see if that would make a difference. It didn't.

Any thoughts/suggestions? Is iCloud sync reliable for Reminders for you? It seems to be rock solid for Photos and Notes.

Thanks,

Ben

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.