Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

o1sowise

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2018
I received my replacement iPhone 6s in the mail two nights ago. I did an iCloud restore. Most of it was restored when I woke yesterday morning, but it's stuck at 136.2 MB remaining. It looks like all the apps are back. It looks like all the photos are back. How can I tell what's stuck so I can help it along?

P.S. I've tried stopping and starting WiFi. Tried rebooting (multiple times, both hard and soft). I can't figure out what it's trying to do...

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Health, Music, Videos, app data and so on. Depending on your backup size and internet connection it could take over 1-2 days, especially if it keeps getting interrupted.

o1sowise

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2018
Health, Music, Videos, app data and so on. Depending on your backup size and internet connection it could take over 1-2 days, especially if it keeps getting interrupted.
Thanks. I suspected. Is there any way to see/measure/pause/nudge?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Unfortunately not. But if you can fully verify that everything is back on your phone, you can go ahead and cancel the restore. If you go under iCloud -> Backup, there should be a progress bar and telling you exactly what it is doing. If not, its possible that the restore is complete but the progress bar got stuck. That has happened to me once in the past.

Biggest and most time-consuming step is verifying no data is missing.

Reactions: o1sowise

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I had this problem, and the issue ended up being that a friend had sent me a couple of songs many years ago that she had purchased from the iTunes store with her account. iTunes lets you sync these songs to your device since they're DRM-free.

Since I didn't have her password, though, those songs couldn't restore/download from the store, and the restore hung because it was incomplete. The solution in the end was to cancel the restore once I was sure everything else was restored, and just sync those songs from iTunes to the phone.

You might have a similar issue if you have any iTunes songs or other Apple content that friends gave you.

o1sowise

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2018

Unfortunately not. But if you can fully verify that everything is back on your phone, you can go ahead and cancel the restore. If you go under iCloud -> Backup, there should be a progress bar and telling you exactly what it is doing. If not, its possible that the restore is complete but the progress bar got stuck. That has happened to me once in the past.

Biggest and most time-consuming step is verifying no data is missing.
Thanks! I thought about doing that yesterday and again today, but with my luck it will be something I really need but don't know until I need it...
[doublepost=1517589339][/doublepost]
I had this problem, and the issue ended up being that a friend had sent me a couple of songs many years ago that she had purchased from the iTunes store with her account. iTunes lets you sync these songs to your device since they're DRM-free.

Since I didn't have her password, though, those songs couldn't restore/download from the store, and the restore hung because it was incomplete. The solution in the end was to cancel the restore once I was sure everything else was restored, and just sync those songs from iTunes to the phone.

You might have a similar issue if you have any iTunes songs or other Apple content that friends gave you.
oooooooh. I'll look. THANKS!
[doublepost=1517589985][/doublepost]Weirdest thing. I went into iTunes on the phone and noticed it had nothing downloaded. I had 2 audiobooks downloaded before. I started those two downloads, went back to see if that changed anything and the restore was complete. WooHoo!!! THANK YOU!!!

Reactions: Mlrollin91

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Thanks! I thought about doing that yesterday and again today, but with my luck it will be something I really need but don't know until I need it...
[doublepost=1517589985][/doublepost]Weirdest thing. I went into iTunes on the phone and noticed it had nothing downloaded. I had 2 audiobooks downloaded before. I started those two downloads, went back to see if that changed anything and the restore was complete. WooHoo!!! THANK YOU!!!
No problem! Funny how it wasn't the exact thing I thought but it ended up being the right place to look. :)

Kmart9419

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2011
Had the same issue. iCloud backup for days. Turned out it was iBooks. It was weird. I try to start download but nothing happens. But I kept at it and kept pressing download. Eventually it started and restore finally finished.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Had the same issue. iCloud backup for days. Turned out it was iBooks. It was weird. I try to start download but nothing happens. But I kept at it and kept pressing download. Eventually it started and restore finally finished.

Sometimes I think there's a tape silo like in Rogue One at Apple, where some guy has to manually operate the picker, and they occasionally drop a tape and have to send someone in to essentially rock-climb to get it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.