Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
Hello,

Normally I would assume this is just an issue with the icloud service, however it appears that Safari tabs have not been working properly since installing the iOS 11 public beta (unless it is just a coincidence).

* None of my Ipad (iOS 11) tabs would show up on the Imac (El Capitan).
* Sometime Imac tabs would show on ipad but the old tabs would keep returning despite closing the tabs from both the iPad & imac.

I tried turning Safari sync off and back on and also signing out of icloud. Neither of these helped, in fact now neither Ipad nor Imac show any icloud tabs at all.

Does anyone have iOS and OSX El Capitan running? If so please can you let me know whether icloud tabs are syncing between these platforms?

Many thanks

Reactions: sk88hh and tecsi

soundslikeaudio

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2014
I posted about this yesterday. Seems to be broken unless you’re running High sierra beta. Immediately stopped working when I went to iOS 11. Lots of changes being made on the iCloud server backend I imagine.

Reactions: sk88hh and zj116

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
It appears that iCloud tabs is partially working now.

I can now see El Capitan tabs on iOS 11 but not the other way around.
Also frequently visited websites are still not reappearing.

The Mad Hatter

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2004
SoCal
That’s weird, I just looked, and my Mac Pro's (on El Capitan) tabs are showing up on my IPP 10.5 with iOS 11.0pb3, but not the other way around too.

Maybe it’s because I’m not on my home network?

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
That’s weird, I just looked, and my Mac Pro's (on El Capitan) tabs are showing up on my IPP 10.5 with iOS 11.0pb3, but not the other way around too.

Maybe it’s because I’m not on my home network?

It shouldn’t matter what network you are on. I’m on my home network, definitely an issue with iCloud.

—————-

Seeing as you are on El Capitan too, could you please test one other thing for me please. I started a seperate thread but have not received any replies yet. When plugging iPad into my iMac running El Capitan I can no longer import or see any photos in the photos app since PB2. See thread here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/importing-photos-to-el-capitan.2056575/

The Mad Hatter

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2004
SoCal
It shouldn’t matter what network you are on. I’m on my home network, definitely an issue with iCloud.

—————-

Seeing as you are on El Capitan too, could you please test one other thing for me please. I started a seperate thread but have not received any replies yet. When plugging iPad into my iMac running El Capitan I can no longer import or see any photos in the photos app since PB2. See thread here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/importing-photos-to-el-capitan.2056575/
I’d love to help ya, but I’m 70 miles away from my Mac, and I don’t have a cord that long. Sorry

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
It appears that iCloud tabs is partially working now.

I can now see El Capitan tabs on iOS 11 but not the other way around.
Also frequently visited websites are still not reappearing.

iCloud tabs not working in either direction again.

May be a coincidence but I can no longer see the El Capitan tabs on iOS 11 since updating Safari on El Capitan from 10.1.1 to 10.1.2

ryxn

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2017
I posted about this yesterday. Seems to be broken unless you’re running High sierra beta. Immediately stopped working when I went to iOS 11. Lots of changes being made on the iCloud server backend I imagine.
I’m on High Sierra and I have intermittent issues with it working. Most of the time it doesn’t work.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
I’m beginning to wonder whether Safari iCloud tabs is even going to work between iOS 11 and devices running anything below macOS High Sierra.

As far as I have seen there has been no mention of iCloud tabs being broken in any of the release notes.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
Beta 7 and still no iCloud Safari tabs. I’m really beginning to think this will be an iOS 11 and High Sierra and above only feature once one device is updated.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
Beta 10 and maybe GM tomorrow (?). I’m assuming this new sync system means no backwards compatibility with older OS than iOS 11 and High Sierra. If so that is extremely disappointing.

I really see no need for this to be broken even with a new method of syncing. It sems rather convenient for it to be broken for older OS. Yet notes and reading list sync perfectly fine (minus any new features such as tables in notes).

Wilson1313

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2008
Recently after I updated Safari on OS Sierra (at least I think coincided with this) I can no longer see mac iCloud tabs on my iPhone or iPad (running iOS 10), but the mac can see the iPhone and iPad tabs. Ideas?

Wilson1313

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2008
I figured that was a likely culprit, was hoping there was a workaround. No interest to go on iOS 11 rn. Pathetic on Apple's part.

Octavius8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2016
Update to iOS 11, that fixes it.
Exact same issue!, I don't want to use chrome in my iOS again but it no matter my iOS version it works with my macs in Sierra, c'mon Apple, this planned obsolescence is starting to be annoying, at least let me keep my device and OS 2 years, no? (new iOS means new device as usually it requires more RAM and the previous gen. device suddenly does not have engough...) even the X is not available to buy and my 7 has functions broken!. I hate-love you Apple.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
This sort of thing is very irritating but it makes me less likely to upgrade to new devices. Knowing that all my Apple devices need to be bought around the same time if I want them to work together means I’m more likely to just stick with the old devices as I can’t afford or justify buying all my idevices at once. There is absolutely no reasonable reason why iCloud tabs suddenly can’t sync to older operating systems after updating Safari or iOS on another device.

svkrzn

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2009
Australia
So, have 11.0.1 on both, iPad and iPhone and el Capitan on MBP. I can see iOS tabs via my iDevices and can see what is open on MBP too, but MBP cannot see what is open on iOS devices, although, I still can close tabs on MBP via iOS, so it looks like only MBP cannot manage iCloud Tabs at the moment.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
So, have 11.0.1 on both, iPad and iPhone and el Capitan on MBP. I can see iOS tabs via my iDevices and can see what is open on MBP too, but MBP cannot see what is open on iOS devices, although, I still can close tabs on MBP via iOS, so it looks like only MBP cannot manage iCloud Tabs at the moment.

It is El Capitan which can’t manage iCloud tabs from iOS 11. Safari 11 included a fix for iCloud tabs between iOS 11 and Sierra and High Sierra. However Safari 11 in El Capitan did not get this fix as shown in the release notes.
It seems like a blatant push to update/upgrade.

svkrzn

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2009
Australia
It is El Capitan which can’t manage iCloud tabs from iOS 11. Safari 11 included a fix for iCloud tabs between iOS 11 and Sierra and High Sierra. However Safari 11 in El Capitan did not get this fix as shown in the release notes.
It seems like a blatant push to update/upgrade.

So that means that Safari 11 with fix is working fine now? Well, I can live without iCloud tabs on safari, definitely not going to upgrade just to get that feature. Happy with my MBP mid 2009 which is still working flawlessly for my needs.

Reactions: sk88hh and lysingur

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
So that means that Safari 11 with fix is working fine now? Well, I can live without iCloud tabs on safari, definitely not going to upgrade just to get that feature. Happy with my MBP mid 2009 which is still working flawlessly for my needs.

Btw, I have Safari 11.0 on El Capitan

No, unfortunelty Safari 11 does not fix iCloud tabs in El Capitan.

It is frustrating that such a simple feature is deliberately broken and the fix is withheld from El Capitan despite Safari 11 being released. I too will have to live without iCloud tabs.

svkrzn

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2009
Australia
No, unfortunelty Safari 11 does not fix iCloud tabs in El Capitan.
It is frustrating that such a simple feature is deliberately broken and the fix is withheld from El Capitan, but I too will have to live without iCloud tabs.
if only they allowed me to upgrade to Sierra or higher. System specs allow it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.