Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

palebluedot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008
I am debating between using a local only sync system (like Synology + Photos on my Mac) vs iCloud Shared Library with my spouse to reduce our on-device storage of photos in iOS.

I know that the Synology setup can work (and in fact have my Photos.app on Mac mounted via a DMG in Synology just fine + wifi syncing of my iOS devices) *but* iCloud Shared Library looks compelling to sync and share/store photos with my spouse. The only drawback is neither of us want our "standard" photo reels synced via iCloud. Is it possible to setup a iCloud Shared Library but not use iCloud for photos not added to the shared library? Thanks!

RhetTbull

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2022
Los Angeles, CA
> Is it possible to setup a iCloud Shared Library but not use iCloud for photos not added to the shared library?

No. iCloud is all or nothing. You could export the non-shared photos to the Synology then delete them from iCloud while keeping the shared photos but this cannot be done automatically.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.