Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Substance21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2023
Running out of iCloud backup space? If you're already on an iCloud+ plan and don't have a ton of picture/videos taking up space, this might help.

A recurring phenomena is that Apps load discardable data (i.e. Game assets, post-install downloadable databases) as user data, thus inflating backup sizes.
To compound the issue, the space taken multiplies by the number of devices with the same apps that are part of your iCloud backup.

To fix the issue, go to Settings -> Your Name -> iCloud -> iCloud Backup -> Your Current Device

Wait for a while while it computes the list of backup items and eventually you'll see something like this:

IMG_072FDEC85246-1.jpeg

Flip the switches off for the individual apps that you don't want backed up. Once you do that, go to your other devices and do the same thing.
Note that this turns off backups for those particular apps, so you don't want to indiscriminately turn everything off!
The best candidates are apps you don't use, or apps you know you could safely delete and reinstall without data loss (most cloud synced apps, social media apps, and multiplayer games).

Reactions: Lex404

Mollop3

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2023
Could someone tell me whether successive backups will automatically include duplicate files that have been previously backed up? Or, are duplicate files not backed up again? Thank you

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
iCloud Backups are not incremental. Only the most recent one exists.

Another way to save iCloud space is to not backup to icloud at all. Backup to your Mac.

Mollop3

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2023
iCloud Backups are not incremental. Only the most recent one exists.

Another way to save iCloud space is to not backup to icloud at all. Backup to your Mac.
Thank you so much; that is good to know and I appreciate your response.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.