Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

themadrhino

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2010
Northern VA
My family has 5 different Macs, 6 iPhones, and 3 iPads for 6 family members. I just converted my whole family over to the Family Sharing iCloud Storage Plan of 2 TB since my wife and I both had that and our kids other ones.

I was also running Crashplan but can't see the value of paying for both and wanted to know if there is anything I would lose by just using the iCloud Storage Plan.

Main thing trying to make sure gets backed up is Photos and Movies and then some files.

Any advice with just going with iCloud Storage and drawbacks to dropping Crashplan or other online storage would be greatly appreciated.

I also run TimeMachine with local drives as well but every 2 years or so the Western Digital drives seem to go.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
iCloud is not backup.
It’s convenient storage easily accessible from multiple devices and synced.

Crash plan has versioning capability.

themadrhino

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2010
Northern VA
So you would keep both Crashplan and iCloud storage. iCloud storage is mainly because we have 3 MacBook Airs (2- 256Gig, 1-128Gig and iCloud seems to virtualize by keeping everything in the cloud. We have 2 PCs also but I am not really worried on them.

themadrhino

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2010
Northern VA
Thank you. Also Crashplan is stopping service for home use. Do you have a recommendation for a different company for multiple computers?

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
I'm using Crash Plan Home use on one machine, and I think I'll be moving to their Pro line.

I think Backblaze has a flaw where if a drive dismounts and you don' t bring it back online in 30 days, that data is gone/purged from your backup.

themadrhino

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2010
Northern VA
Thank you for your reply. I checked out the costs of the Pro line and too much for me based on the number of computers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.