Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HypersonicXIV

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
I pay for 4TB of iCloud storage (2TB with Apple One subscription + 2TB from iCloud+). I had an email from Apple not long ago saying I'd used all my iCloud storage. I thought it was spam to start with as I still should have about 1TB free. Checked settings and somehow my iCloud+ subscription had vanished, removing 2TB and so was exceeding my storage quota by quite a lot. I quickly reinstated the plan.

Has this happened to anyone else? My registered credit card with Apple is still valid (and at no point has not had enough funds to cover the bills and my Apple account actually has credit in it from a gift card)..

I don't know how long Apple gives you to fix the subscription before they remove data but it's still concerning that the subscription can vanish. I don't see this would be very easy to do accidentally and I haven't even been poking around in the subscriptions section in recent months. I've just searched through all my emails and see nothing from Apple indicating anything was wrong prior to the one saying I'd run out of storage..

okyuh

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2020
Did reinstating the plan fix things for you? Same thing happened to me, except I was family sharing all 4TB

MacGod

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2008
I had to re-subscribe to my low icloud+ account additional space to get it back. I didn't lose any data, but I did get a note saying I should upgrade to the 2TB plan (when all I needed was the 200 GB plan added back in).

I wasn't happy this morning, but a click subscribe, fixed the issue. I felt mine was tied directly to my Apple One subscription converting to the new price plan this past weekend. Why they removed my iCloud+ subscription, which had NOTHING to do with my Apple One subscription, I don't know.

How do you get 1TB Free? I wish that were the case!

reddshack

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2020
The same thing just happened to me. I have 4 TB total of iCloud storage with 2 TB coming from Apple One Premier and 2 TB from iCloud+. I received an email yesterday saying that I was out of storage but I had not changed anything on my end and should have plenty of storage remaining. I tried chatting with Apple support today but they couldn't help and connected me with phone support instead. Phone support confirmed that Apple automatically cancelled my 2TB iCloud+ subscription but they didn't know why. Support said there was a refund pending on my account for the unused portion of the $9.99 plan. They had me resubscribe to the 2 TB and now my storage is back to normal with 4 TB total. Support was just as confused as I was that this even happened and said they hadn't seen it before. I will post here again when my refund goes through.

To summarize, contacting Apple support was not necessary. I just wanted to know I would be refunded and they confirmed that it was being processed automatically on their end. Manually resubscribing to iCloud+ fixed my problem as the other commenters have done.

SueperDrive

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2020
Same here, I have the Family plan with 200gb and additional 50gb but since today I see only 200gb with warning that storage is full. I tried to subscribe but the update fails with the message try again later.

Luke Redpath

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2007
Colchester, UK
I came here to see if anyone else had this as it also just happened to me. I don’t have an explanation but some theories.

Did anyone else‘s extra storage disappear on the day their Apple One renewed at the new increased price?

The first I knew of this was when I got an alert saying my storage was full. I have Apple One family with 200GB and iCloud+ 50GB storage. I didnt receive any other notification or email but when I went into purchases and looked at the receipt for my last iCloud+ renewal I saw it had been refunded pro-rata. I didn’t actually receive this refund until a day later.

I spoke to support and was told that normally, when you upgrade to Apple One, any existing iCloud+ storage gets automatically cancelled if the the storage is lower than what comes with Apple One to avoid you being double charged. Except in my case, I added my storage AFTER I subscribed to Apple One, some time ago.

I got referred to senior support and they could not explain how this had happened either. As I had received a refund by this point I was simply able to re-subscribe to the iCloud+ storage I had before.

My theory: internally, the price increase is a new SKU (so it co-exist with people still due to renew at the old price) and so a bug in Apple‘s system means it sees the renewal as a new subscription and so it triggered the “cancel the iCloud+” logic. I have no evidence of this. It’s just my software engineer-instinct/hunch.

Luke Redpath

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2007
Colchester, UK
This support article outlines how Apple One and iCloud+ coexist.

The problem is that those of us who added extra iCloud storage AFTER signing up for Apple One are getting our additional iCloud+ storage plans cancelled when Apple One renewed, as if it were the first or second scenario in the above document.

• Sad
Reactions: HypersonicXIV

reddshack

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2020
I just received my prorated refund for the 2 weeks I didn't use of the iCloud+ 2 TB subscription.

To answer the above, my subscription was also cancelled the same day I was billed for the new Apple One pricing.

Ben1980

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2013
I had this with 200gb Apple One and 200gb iCloud+

After a lengthy back and forth with Apple explaining this was not a new subscription and that I have had both for over a year, Apple ended by telling me that the iCloud+ storage must be of a greater quantity than that included in my Apple One plan.

They were so adamant that this has always been the case, outside of any free trial they emailed me with their approval for the bank to chargeback any iCloud storage fees pain in the last year.

HypersonicXIV

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
Did reinstating the plan fix things for you? Same thing happened to me, except I was family sharing all 4TB
Sorry I didn't see the replies here! It seemed to fix the issue, I've been checking regularly that it still has 4TB showing and it does. I was also sharing the 4TB with family members.

HypersonicXIV

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
I came here to see if anyone else had this as it also just happened to me. I don’t have an explanation but some theories.

Did anyone else‘s extra storage disappear on the day their Apple One renewed at the new increased price?

The first I knew of this was when I got an alert saying my storage was full. I have Apple One family with 200GB and iCloud+ 50GB storage. I didnt receive any other notification or email but when I went into purchases and looked at the receipt for my last iCloud+ renewal I saw it had been refunded pro-rata. I didn’t actually receive this refund until a day later.

I spoke to support and was told that normally, when you upgrade to Apple One, any existing iCloud+ storage gets automatically cancelled if the the storage is lower than what comes with Apple One to avoid you being double charged. Except in my case, I added my storage AFTER I subscribed to Apple One, some time ago.

I got referred to senior support and they could not explain how this had happened either. As I had received a refund by this point I was simply able to re-subscribe to the iCloud+ storage I had before.

My theory: internally, the price increase is a new SKU (so it co-exist with people still due to renew at the old price) and so a bug in Apple‘s system means it sees the renewal as a new subscription and so it triggered the “cancel the iCloud+” logic. I have no evidence of this. It’s just my software engineer-instinct/hunch.
I suspect a bug somewhere and in my experience if there is anything slightly out of the ordinary the support staff are not much help. It's usually a major exercise to even get them to understand what the issue is I'm reporting let alone then getting a sensible answer..

HypersonicXIV

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
I don't know if this is in anyway related but a Mac that's been sitting quietly in the corner I use to download iCloud Photos as a backup seems to have stopped downloading new photos about a week before this all happened. I scrolled back through and some were showing as not downloaded (with the cloud icon), it could still download those automatically but doesn't detect any new ones being added to iCloud Photos.. My phone says it is synced and if I log in through the web interface it shows recent photos in iCloud. I have rebooted the Mac and doesn't make a difference. I read somewhere to try turning off iCloud Photos on the Mac and back on again, however it always makes me nervous turning off and on iCloud settings as I'm never quite sure what nightmare it might unlock.

HypersonicXIV

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
I had this with 200gb Apple One and 200gb iCloud+

After a lengthy back and forth with Apple explaining this was not a new subscription and that I have had both for over a year, Apple ended by telling me that the iCloud+ storage must be of a greater quantity than that included in my Apple One plan.

They were so adamant that this has always been the case, outside of any free trial they emailed me with their approval for the bank to chargeback any iCloud storage fees pain in the last year.
I suspect there has been a bug somewhere that has cancelled some peoples plans and the support staff you spoke to don't really know anything about it. "After a lengthy back and forth with Apple explaining" this makes me feel agitated remembering every single time I've ever had to contact support about anything out of the ordinary lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.