Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacGod

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
I have an iCloud+ subscription of 200 GB for my apple products. Have for years. About a year ago, I purchased the Apple One family plan which includes an additional 200 GB of storage - but I don't share that out. So I essentially had 400 GB of iCloud storage - worked out great for me and the family didn't need the extra storage.

Last week, my Apple One plan went from $22.95 to $25.95 - got the notice and all - not a big deal. Somewhere in the 'UPGRADE" to the new pricing plan, my account got knocked down to only having 200 GB of storage. I only got notice today from Apple that I should upgrade to the $10/month 2 TB storage plan. Sure enough - I was out of storage for all my devices - and it was listed as 200 GB - did Apple One remove storage? Did my personal iCloud+ subscription get killed? what was the deal?

Turns out, my personal iCloud+ subscription got cancelled. Why, would Apple touch my in place items if all they were doing was increasing the price of their plans? I don't think we got anymore benefit out of it (more storage, more access to other systems - like News would be awesome - not paying $10/month for that).

CAUTION - check out your subscriptions if you are an Apple One subscriber - they [APPLE] may have messed with your personal iCloud+ subscrition.

MacGod

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Only resolution was re-subscribing to the iCloud+ account subscription that was missing. I read the other thread - thanks for including - very odd Apple would do this... somebody fat-fingered something.

Were you able to on Apple One Family add an additional 200GB or did it only give you the option for adding 2TB? I've seen mixed answers on this.

With the price hikes I’m downgrading from Apple One Premier to Apple One Family that kicks in tomorrow. I rarely use News+ or Fitness+ so that won’t be a loss.
However my question is that we currently using about 250GB of iCloud storage. I’ve seen mixed answers to whether I’ll be able to add 200GB (for a total of 400GB) after I downgrade or have to add 2TB and it got me wondering if I should add a 200GB today (which would temporarily take me to 2.2TB but then back down to 400GB tomorrow or just wait and take my chances that a 200GB additional option will be available tomorrow.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Were you able to on Apple One Family add an additional 200GB or did it only give you the option for adding 2TB? I've seen mixed answers on this.

With the price hikes I’m downgrading from Apple One Premier to Apple One Family that kicks in tomorrow. I rarely use News+ or Fitness+ so that won’t be a loss.
However my question is that we currently using about 250GB of iCloud storage. I’ve seen mixed answers to whether I’ll be able to add 200GB (for a total of 400GB) after I downgrade or have to add 2TB and it got me wondering if I should add a 200GB today (which would temporarily take me to 2.2TB but then back down to 400GB tomorrow or just wait and take my chances that a 200GB additional option will be available tomorrow.
Didn't see an answer in time so just let it ride. Was nervous when I got an email:

Your family has used all of your shared 200 GB iCloud storage plan.
You can upgrade to iCloud+ with 2 TB for $9.99 a month to ensure you and your family can continue to store your photos, videos, documents, device backups and more in iCloud.

However when I went to the iCloud Storage settings it did give the other options to choose, so I chose the additional 200GB instead for $2.99.

So all in all I downgraded from the Apple One Premier ($37.95) down to Apple One Family ($25.95) and an additional 200GB ($2.99) for a total of $28.94. I lost out on 1.6TB of storage, Fitness+ and News+ all of which I wasn't using anyway. My thought is $9 is $9 bucks.

Reactions: brewc99
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.