Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dbrewood

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
Manchester, UK
Guys I'm hoping some kind soul can check their Mac (running Sonoma) and see if they also have this issue.

Any file which synchronises to the iCloud (not just the desktop in my example), syncs just fine as you can see with the 'cloud' icon on the file in Finder....

But...... hovering the cursor over the iCloud Drive to show the iCloud sync status always shows a different time - in the example 4 hours.........

Is this an issue everyone has or is it just my Mac Mini Pro 2?

Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 15.42.35 - Example of lapsed time issue.jpg

EedyBeedyBeeps

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2013
USA
My [Sonoma 14.4.1] Date Modified and Synced with iCloud times are currently in-tune with each other.

I doubt either of these ideas will help, but here goes:

Are your iCloud Drive System Settings currently set to sync Desktop & Documents Folders? I once found that my system "magically" shut off the desktop & documents syncing, so I had to turn it back on. But that was long before Sonoma.

Or, could it be that iCloud Drive sees your local file modification at 15:41 appears to be the same as an iCloud version that was synced 4 hours ago?

For example*, if you edit a file that's been synced with iCloud, re-save it, then quickly undo the edit before iCloud syncs, and re-save it again, the Date Modified updates locally. But then iCloud Drive sees that the latest version of the file hasn't fundamentally changed away from the first version that's already in your iCloud Drive, so it won't bother to update it--or it won't change your "synced with iCloud" time, at least.

* I tried this with a random PNG file and the Preview app, and I was able to de-synchronize my Date Modified from Synced with iCloud times.

Anyway, hopefully someone with more expertise will chime in :D

dbrewood

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
Manchester, UK
Thanks for coming back to me. It really is a mystery as this is a new HTML shortcut which was dropped on to the desktop. As I have Desktop & Documents Folders sync turned on IMHO the timings should be the same.

I understand your point but it's not the case here alas, if it was I'd be happy :)

Weirdly the screenshot that used as the base for the image in the prior post (which was saved to the desktop as a default), didn't have the issue, and the iCloud status showed the system had been updated a 'moment ago'.

Hmm maybe it has an issue with HTML files dropped out of the Brave browser..... Hmm I just tested that out, I saved another HTML shortcut and it that worked as expected showing 'a moment ago'... Yet another one and that didn't. It seems totally random. Screenshots always seem to sync and show the 'moment' message but not HTML shortcuts...

Oh and deleting those files I created to test gives the 'moment' message. Maybe It's always been this glitchy and nobody noticed? Or is it just my Mac (fresh rebuild on a wiped HD - done partly to try and resolve this issue.).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.