Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

s.m.t.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2010
Any indication if Apple broke iCloud syncing with older non supported Macs? Running a 5,1 MP with 10.14... All my other devices sync fine, though I have only updated my other Macs to 10.15 a few months ago, so I wonder if when I did that it somehow made the MP incompatible.

Photos, iCloud Drive (was syncing my documents folder), safari, nothing seems to be syncing...

I really didn't want to have to jump through the hoops to try and upgrade the MP to 10.15 or even Big Sur, but wondering now if upgrading my other devices just evicted the MP from the ecosystem...

Anyone else have iCloud issues on their MP?

oliverc

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2016
Any indication if Apple broke iCloud syncing with older non supported Macs? Running a 5,1 MP with 10.14... All my other devices sync fine, though I have only updated my other Macs to 10.15 a few months ago, so I wonder if when I did that it somehow made the MP incompatible.

Photos, iCloud Drive (was syncing my documents folder), safari, nothing seems to be syncing...

I really didn't want to have to jump through the hoops to try and upgrade the MP to 10.15 or even Big Sur, but wondering now if upgrading my other devices just evicted the MP from the ecosystem...

Anyone else have iCloud issues on their MP?
Interesting question. I never had issue btw MP 5,1 with 10.14 and iPhone/iPad. I don’t see why it wouldn’t work with other devices. Sometimes enabling/disabling iCloud helps though.

s.m.t.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2010
no luck on toggling iCloud off and back on... None of the usual tricks have worked...

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
sync still working here between High Sierra & iOS 12 (Safari Reading List).

Tried a PRAM reset? Sacrificed a goat?

s.m.t.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2010
Good to see it may be just me. You leverage photos library in the cloud and document folder sync? I zapped the PRAM, think I am at the sacrifice a goat stage... Contemplating trying to install 10.15 or maybe even Big Sur... May try creating a new user, or even just a clean install... But if I have to go through that, it may make more sense to just go ahead and try taking it to Big Sur...

s.m.t.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2010
I renamed the local photo library and it seems to be pulling down photos from the cloud. I just re-enabled documents in the cloud, it shows all the documents that are already in the cloud with the download symbol. But coping a new file into documents and it just stays on waiting to upload. Safari still refuses to sync up, tabs, bookmarks, reading list, ect...

Was afraid this might have been something to do with the no longer support MP, but at least that doesn't seem to be the case...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.