Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. 123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
Hello,
My main computer where I do most of my work is on El Capitan (I tried Sierra but it slowed it down so I reverted). My iPhone is currently on iOS10 but I'm thinking of upgrading to iOS11. I read somewhere that updating to 11 would make it impossible to sync safari tabs between my El Capitan computer and my would be IOS11 iPhone... is this true?

Thanks in advance!

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Hello,
My main computer where I do most of my work is on El Capitan (I tried Sierra but it slowed it down so I reverted). My iPhone is currently on iOS10 but I'm thinking of upgrading to iOS11. I read somewhere that updating to 11 would make it impossible to sync safari tabs between my El Capitan computer and my would be IOS11 iPhone... is this true?

Thanks in advance!
I would say yes it is true.

When I was on the iOS 11 beta with the most current version of macOS to be released to the public (10.12) on my Mac, Safari syncing was not working.

When this was happening I looked into it (like you) and I found that in iOS 11 and macOS High Serria (10.13) they updated the iCloud syncing mechanism for Safari. This means all your devices must be updated to those versions for any syncing to work in Safari, Tab sync, bookmark sync and Reading list sync, etc.

I hope this helps.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
There is a good chance this is true, like mentioned.

What are the specs of your Mac? I've found on my 2013 iMac performance to be comparable between El Cap, Sierra and High Sierra. The only Mac OS version I found underwhelming was Yosemite.

I can say with HS and iOS 11 tab syncing has worked better/faster than it ever has (for me).

Screen Shot 2017-10-27 at 8.04.02 AM.png

Mr. 123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
Is this still an issue or has it been fixed in the new iOS11 updates?

Mr. 123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
Apple closed my ticket regarding this saying icloud tabs require sierra or later
Yeah this is the reason I haven't updated to iOS11. I have an older computer that I hope to upgtade soon but until then I can't not have iCloud tabs...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.