Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nercos85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2018
Hey guys! Lately, I'm struggling with migrating my info from my iPhone 4, my current phone (yes, 2010 FTW...), to my 7+, that is my new one.

With all the photos and videos I haven't had trouble since I connected the old phone to the PC and downloaded them in a moment. I also have other apps in it but I can re-download them from the App Store and some of them works with an account so, if I log in, I'll have all my data there.

My problem is about Whatsapp, since if you download the app on a new device you should have done a backup if you want your data on the new device. Here comes the problem: I did the iCloud chat backup from the 4, it finished succesfully, downloaded the app on the new phone and it said that "it can't detect any backup, you must log in on iCloud Drive or turn it on in order to access your data if you did a chat backup...". Many of you must know that if you enable iCloud Drive, the old device (running iOS 7) will become incompatible with it (it needs iOS 8 or later), so it'll become "obsolete" and you no longer will have the access to the cloud to save documents and data from the old device.

Apple clarifies in the FAQ section of their website this: "After you set up iCloud Drive, any documents that you've already stored in iCloud are automatically moved to iCloud Drive. Your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and iCloud.com keep your files in the files app, in addition to the Pages, Numbers, and Keynote apps. If you don't see your files in these apps, they might be on a device that doesn't have iCloud Drive turned on."

This last sentence is freaking me out...

I really need all my WhatsApp data since I have some important data about work, studies and some other important stuff for me. And I only have around 25 more days of WhatsApp, then, an update is required and I can't download it because it's for iOS 8 or later...

I don't know if it's a reliable way to do that. Anyone with any experience in this? Any other way that someone tried succesfully?
Also tried the iMazing PC app but it fails to transfer the .ipa file from the PC to the new phone. Other similar apps wants $50 and I think that's not the point. WhatsApp support team seems to evade your ask for help stating that "they can't do it for you".

Any suggestion or experience will be appreciated!

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Unfortunately there’s no other way to do it except relying on iCloud. If it’s that important then you should think about individually downloading these important items (I’m guessing they’re in shareable format such as images / videos) on to your old device and then take a backup. The iPhone 4 is too old for any developer to support to be honest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.