Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
I am new to the Mac OS, with a Mac Mini. With that, I have decided to use iCloud, too. Even more so, since I have it setup and configured on my iPhone and iPad.

My question is, from a Mac OS perspective, any issue I should be aware of, or understand?
I configured iCloud today on my Mac Mini and the only option I have not selected yet is, "Desktop & Documents Folders". A little unsure about this one.

Thoughts...

PS: Not 100% sure if this is the correct area to post this. Thus, MODs, feel free to move it if needed.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
If you have enough free iCloud storage for it, I'd just enable everything. Desktop and Documents in iCloud is especially nice if you move between different Macs a lot, like a desktop and a laptop. But it can eat at your iCloud storage if you keep a lot of things on the desktop or in the document folder

Reactions: chabig and circatee

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
My preference is avoid using Desktop & Documents Folders. In the past when I’ve had it enabled, because your documents are no longer stored on your Mac, I made some mistakes and deleted important stuff. I find it easier to upload only documents I absolutely need to share with other devices (or other people), and keep the rest on my Mac.

For a good explanation about how Desktop & Document Folders work, take a look at this:

Reactions: circatee

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
And the other thing is if D&D is enabled, I don’t believe those documents are included in Time Machine backups. But I could be wrong about whether local copies get backed up.

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
And the other thing is if D&D is enabled, I don’t believe those documents are included in Time Machine backups. But I could be wrong about whether local copies get backed up.

Hmm, now this is interesting...

Feek

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
I've just deleted a file in my documents folder, gone into my time machine backup and restored it from a week ago. I am syncing documents and desktop with iCloud.

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
I've just deleted a file in my documents folder, gone into my time machine backup and restored it from a week ago. I am syncing documents and desktop with iCloud.
...thanks for sharing and confirming.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.

"What happens when you turn off iCloud Drive or sign out of iCloud​

If you turn off iCloud Drive or sign out of iCloud, a new Desktop and Documents folder is created in your home folder. You also have the option to keep a local copy of your files that are in iCloud Drive. If you keep a local copy of your files in iCloud Drive, they're copied to a folder called iCloud Drive (Archive) in your home folder. You can move any files that were in your iCloud Desktop and Documents to your new local Desktop and Documents."

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014

"What happens when you turn off iCloud Drive or sign out of iCloud​

If you turn off iCloud Drive or sign out of iCloud, a new Desktop and Documents folder is created in your home folder. You also have the option to keep a local copy of your files that are in iCloud Drive. If you keep a local copy of your files in iCloud Drive, they're copied to a folder called iCloud Drive (Archive) in your home folder. You can move any files that were in your iCloud Desktop and Documents to your new local Desktop and Documents."

...this is brilliant information for the uninitiated. Thanks for sharing.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
because your documents are no longer stored on your Mac,

Only if you have selected the Optimize Mac storage option:

Screen Shot 2021-06-15 at 6.53.32 PM.png

I don’t believe those documents are included in Time Machine backups

They are if you don't enable optimize. Don't know what happens if optimize is on.

Reactions: 0128672

Feek

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
They are if you don't enable optimize. Don't know what happens if optimize is on.
I checked and I had optimise on and it was on when I did this test.

I've just turned optimise off as I'm quite happy to have a full copy locally as well as in iCloud.

Big Bad D

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2007
France
Yes D&D are backed up, but perhaps only if you have optimise off so that local copy is kept.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.