Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cappers

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2011
Can anyone advise the difference of what is exactly backed up/not backed up. I understand there is a difference, but not sure what.
I currently back up to my laptop and thinking of going to cloud, but want to be sure should I have to re-install

Thanks for any help

ajay96

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2013
New York, NY
I just prefer iCloud mainly because you can backup your phone on the go. I believe they both backup the same amount of info.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
The description on iTunes says iCloud backs up important data and iTunes backs up all. Never seen more details but that does seem to indicate a difference
I do both automatic iCloud and manual with my computer

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2011
Considering the recent news about the American government and some nasty companies (Apple included), I would evaluate moving the other way around: from cloud to local backup.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
So all that are concerned about this. Do you not use google or facebook? They are only they ate only in business to collect your data. Do,you think on an android phone google isn't collecting all that stuff about you. I trust the govern,net more than facebook

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
Personally, I never use the cloud. I use HDD's because I like to know exactly where my data is stored. :)

DarkJaye

macrumors member
May 11, 2009
The nice thing about PC backup is that if you encrypt it, the keychain is backed up and can be restored on new devices. I always restore via my encrypted PC backup so I never need to re-enter all my email/wifi/other passwords.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I still back up on both - iCloud every night and computer occasionally. I'm not trying to disagree with others but on iTunes it says an iCloud back up backs up important information and an iTunes backs up all and if you secure it backs up passwords. I'd love to know details of differences.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I still back up on both - iCloud every night and computer occasionally. I'm not trying to disagree with others but on iTunes it says an iCloud back up backs up important information and an iTunes backs up all and if you secure it backs up passwords. I'd love to know details of differences.

If there is a difference, I can't tell. An iOS device restored from iCloud behaves exactly the same as one that is restored from an iTunes backup.

Restoring from iTunes is much faster, but to create a backup, you have to hook up to iTunes. As other posters have mentioned, I believe the best practice is to backup to both -- just set your device to backup to iCloud, then whenever you connect to iTunes, create a manual backup by clicking the "backup now" button.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Does iTunes backup auto download all the apps that was in the backup? I know iCloud does that.

It syncs the apps from your computer, rather than downloading them again, which is why restoring from iTunes is faster than restoring from iCloud.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
It syncs the apps from your computer, rather than downloading them again, which is why restoring from iTunes is faster than restoring from iCloud.

I don't store the apps on my computer. That's why I am asking if it downloads the apps from the App Store automatically. Can some one answer my question?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I don't store the apps on my computer. That's why I am asking if it downloads the apps from the App Store automatically. Can some one answer my question?

It doesn't. You need to transfer the apps to your computer first. You can do this easily while making your backup -- just right click on your device in iTunes and select "transfer purchases."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.