Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Buadhai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2018
Korat, Thailand
I was on a dive boat for the past few days. For the first couple of days we had no cell service so no Internet.

When we finally did get cell service and 4G data I discovered that many iCloud services on both my iPhone (6s) and iPad were messed up. Messages did not work on either device and still doesn't work on my iPad, four days later. My iPhone lost all of my Music playlists, but the iPad did not. Both devices stopped adding to My Photo Stream. I'm still discovering things that were mysteriously turned off, like iCloud Music Library on my iPhone.

At one point, all of the Blue background bubbles in Messages on my iPhone turned Dark Green, but only on iMessages sent to my wife:

dark_green.jpg

The next day they were Blue again.

I still can't activate iMessage on my iPad. When I try I get this:
imessage.jpg

Note that I am in Messages, not FaceTime when I get this message.

I have tried turning iMessage and FaceTime off, rebooting the device and turning them back on, but that doesn't work.

I have tried signing out of iCloud, rebooting the device and signing back in to iCloud. Didn't work. (However, I did get messages from my banks telling me my cards have been removed from Apple Pay. Why does signing out of iCloud on one device remove cards from Apple Pay?)

I'm stuck.

I should note that my wife with her iPhone X experienced none of these difficulties while on the dive trip.
[doublepost=1559034077][/doublepost]Ah, finally, here's what worked: Installing the 12.3.1 update.

There's still a lot of stuff messed up, but at least I finally have iMessage working.

Oddly, the update turned iCloud Photos ON and My Photo Stream OFF. Exactly the opposite of what I want and what I've had set for a year.

And, I had to re-add all my cards to the Wallet and re-verify with the banks. This I really don't understand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.