Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonter19

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
For the life of me, I cannot get the reminders app to show icon badges. The setting is turned on in notification settings. I also read some where that it works for items in the TODAY section, but that doesn't work either.

Anybody having this problem?

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I never got them to show up for my current "to-do's" but I did get it to work yesterday when a reminder went off at 5:30 and I still hadn't completed it.

It may only be for ones that have a time associated with them.

tctony

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
I never got them to show up for my current "to-do's" but I did get it to work yesterday when a reminder went off at 5:30 and I still hadn't completed it.

It may only be for ones that have a time associated with them.

This is correct.

Lara F

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
Montreal, Quebec
This is correct.

I did associate a time with my reminder. It's now 1 hour overdue and still no badge. It shows up on the Mac, not iOS.

What am I missing?

ETA - the badge did at least show when I opened and closed the app on the iPhone (obviously not as preferable to it automatically showing). But that's not even happening on the iPad. And yes, notification center shows it's turned on.

Last edited:

alec6542

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2012
Pretty sure it's a bug, but this definitely annoys me too. However, I did figure out how to get the badges to show up. If the iPhone is locked when a reminder notification comes through, if you slide to view the reminder notification directly, that reminder will be reflected with a badge. If you don't slide to view the reminder OR the reminder came through while unlocked but you DISMISSED IT, then the only way to get the badge to show is to go view the reminder VIA the notification center (i.e. not by tapping the reminder icon), OR, clear the overdue reminder(s) from the notification center by tapping clear. Interestingly, if you have overdue reminders whose badges have not yet "posted" so to speak, and one comes through and you tap to view it (and only it), all of the other overdue reminders badges become visible on the app icon.

Apple needs to fix it so that as soon as a reminder notification comes in, it's badge instantly appears, just like when a text message comes in, regardless of whether or not you cleared it from the notification center.

EDIT: And yes, all this only applies to reminders that have an alert time. In the above description by "overdue" I mean the alert for the reminder has gone off. Obviously, there is no way to have reminders with no alert associated to be reflected in an icon badge, unlike most every 3rd party reminders app.

Last edited:

Gottahaveit77

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2011
Crucial

Pretty sure it's a bug, but this definitely annoys me too. However, I did figure out how to get the badges to show up. If the iPhone is locked when a reminder notification comes through, if you slide to view the reminder notification directly, that reminder will be reflected with a badge. If you don't slide to view the reminder OR the reminder came through while unlocked but you DISMISSED IT, then the only way to get the badge to show is to go view the reminder VIA the notification center (i.e. not by tapping the reminder icon), OR, clear the overdue reminder(s) from the notification center by tapping clear. Interestingly, if you have overdue reminders whose badges have not yet "posted" so to speak, and one comes through and you tap to view it (and only it), all of the other overdue reminders badges become visible on the app icon.

Apple needs to fix it so that as soon as a reminder notification comes in, it's badge instantly appears, just like when a text message comes in, regardless of whether or not you cleared it from the notification center.

EDIT: And yes, all this only applies to reminders that have an alert time. In the above description by "overdue" I mean the alert for the reminder has gone off. Obviously, there is no way to have reminders with no alert associated to be reflected in an icon badge, unlike most every 3rd party reminders app.

I can't tell you how many hours I have tried to troubleshoot this with Apple tech support. This is no longer a useful app. I depended on this app. I hope there is update soon. Restored my phone several times. I'm running Mountain Ljon on my iMac, and the reminders app runs flawless. Only failing on my iPhone 5

Scratchyphone

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
Wow -- still no fix for this? C'mon Apple! This, and the "spotlight search still shows deleted SMS messages in search results" are 2 bugs that are killing me.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
importance

You have to set a level of priority within the reminder to something other than none. That will make the badges appear when something is due.

StonewallBrown

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2013
You have to set a level of priority within the reminder to something other than none. That will make the badges appear when something is due.

Wow! Is this true? I've been searching for a solution for months.

EDIT: Tried this. Didn't work. Dang!

Last edited:

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Wow! Is this true? I've been searching for a solution for months.

EDIT: Tried this. Didn't work. Dang!

Interesting. That's how it works for me. I never had badges (never even thought about them for reminder) then I set some reminder with a high priority and bam badge icon. So starting playing with it and if none no badge if low, med or high I get a badge. However it seems to be broken now! Perhaps iOS 6.1.2 or 6.1.3 broke it. It was working now it isn't!!! It was introduced in iOS 6 so one of the many iOS 6.x updates apparently killed it

[Edit] Set up reminder with alarm date & time
Alert goes off at specified date & time.
Unlock iPhone - Reminder badge has not updated.
Open Reminders app - reminder is displayed in list, as expected.
Close Reminders app - badge count has not updated.

However if either:
Swipe the lock-screen notification when the alert fires, or
Select the reminder from Notification Center, the Reminder app opens, the reminder is highlighted briefly in red and the date/time text turns red too. Upon closing the application, the badge app appears. Sorta broken I guess. I don't believe it was working that way before.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Badge seems to show up for my reminders when they have a due date/time associated with them and it's a little past that--so maybe like an hour or two after the due time. Not quite sure what the exact logic is behind it, but that's how it seems to be working in my case at least. At the same time, reminders will appear in notification center about a day or half a day before they are due. Definitely not really in sync and not really all that straightforward when it comes to reminder notifications.

Scratchyphone

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
Interesting. That's how it works for me. I never had badges (never even thought about them for reminder) then I set some reminder with a high priority and bam badge icon. So starting playing with it and if none no badge if low, med or high I get a badge. However it seems to be broken now! Perhaps iOS 6.1.2 or 6.1.3 broke it. It was working now it isn't!!! It was introduced in iOS 6 so one of the many iOS 6.x updates apparently killed it

[Edit] Set up reminder with alarm date & time
Alert goes off at specified date & time.
Unlock iPhone - Reminder badge has not updated.
Open Reminders app - reminder is displayed in list, as expected.
Close Reminders app - badge count has not updated.

However if either:
Swipe the lock-screen notification when the alert fires, or
Select the reminder from Notification Center, the Reminder app opens, the reminder is highlighted briefly in red and the date/time text turns red too. Upon closing the application, the badge app appears. Sorta broken I guess. I don't believe it was working that way before.

Great summary. I'd like to add that if you load up icloud in your computer browser and mess with the reminders app (which properly shows the badge, unlike iphone), the badge will appear on the phone (forgot what exactly you have to do in the icloud, but I think just clicking on the reminder icon will do).

Also, I'd like to raise this to Apple tech support to get the problem resolved asap. What is the most effective way to do this?

Djs621

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008
Clearly a bug that Apple hasn't addressed. One way to get the badge to show would be to reset the phone. Badges for reminders magically appear.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Great summary. I'd like to add that if you load up icloud in your computer browser and mess with the reminders app (which properly shows the badge, unlike iphone), the badge will appear on the phone (forgot what exactly you have to do in the icloud, but I think just clicking on the reminder icon will do).

Also, I'd like to raise this to Apple tech support to get the problem resolved asap. What is the most effective way to do this?

Report to http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

SilverTT

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2013
This is pretty annoying. Have had this issue for several months now and I agree as others have stated, it just doesn't work as it should. Clearly a bug.

Will submit on Apple feedback page.

Also, I have removed Reminders from notification center to see if that usage pattern at least allows the badge icon to render correctly when I have an overdue reminder, which is the most important feature to me to have working properly.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
This is pretty annoying. Have had this issue for several months now and I agree as others have stated, it just doesn't work as it should. Clearly a bug.

Will submit on Apple feedback page.

Also, I have removed Reminders from notification center to see if that usage pattern at least allows the badge icon to render correctly when I have an overdue reminder, which is the most important feature to me to have working properly.

Let us know if that works. The process I outlined works but is not really a solution. We need the red dot to alert without doing anything.That's kinda the whole point. It works in iCloud so something wrong in iOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.