Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cleo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
When I drag the a URL directly onto the dock, the icon is the little gray @ springboard thingy. Is there any way to change this? It's annoying to have to figure out which is which when there is more than one.

PS- thanks for putting up with all my questions :)

newmanium

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2002
haha, milking the forums for all its worth, eh?.... good idea. if you want to know the layman's advice (which is me), you could try another method:

-make a normal shortcut (i.e. dragging the address to the desktop)

-simply change the icon of that like you normally would

-drag that sucker onto the dock and there u go.

hmm, not sure if you need to keep the o.g. shortcut or not, but it does beat the hell out of hacking into the OS, besides, shortcuts dont take up that much space anyway. herd them all into a folder and ur set.

PC > MACs

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2002
i don't see why you want to change the icons in the first place. what's wrong? "Aqua" not pretty enough for you? XP is much better looking and you never get tired of its looks

newmanium

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2002
what the hell is ur problem, you peecee bastard? i mean fellow computer user. XP is crap on a stick and you know it

PC > MACs

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2002
please....it's so much more stable AND asthetically more pleasant. by the way....movie maker > iMovie

newmanium

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2002
yeahhhh....im going to have to disagree on that. have fun sending those error reports everytime calculator crashes after trying to add and multiply.

cleo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
Sweet!

Tfaz: Thanks so much for the link! I ignored the disclaimer about not attempting the procedure if you were unfamiliar with Unix and just went for it - and it worked! Looks like I'm not gonna be getting any sleep tonight... :)

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
PC > MACs

if your going pcs why get a dell? go make your own or go to alienware.com and have them make you one. forget that dell crap. and dont give me that lame "because of the price" argument. because if it matters for you to come in to the mac forums and start something about your peecee being better then it should matter to you to spend more money to get something better.
you get what you pay for.... a porsche costs more than a geo metro.

cleo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
I am the icon queen!

Icons are so cool! I wish I was artistic enough to make my own! Well, one day.

In the meantime, does anyone know what resource I need to look in to find the standard "Application" icon used on the toolbar? It's the "A" formed by the ruler, etc.

Thanks!

cleo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
Actually, I did some digging around, and the toolbar icons are actually in the package contents of Finder.app, in case anyone wants to do some hard-core icon changing! You have to change the file permissions by logging in as root.

(woo-hoo! I'm a regular!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.