Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bassett72

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2024
I bought a M2 Mac Mini, 16GB/256GB. Have 55K photos and 380 video on iCloud. I'd like to 1, use my 2 TB Samsung T7 as my primary home for PHOTOS LIBRARY. And 2, get all my original photos in there. Going forward, what I'd like to/need to do is have any photos I put into "PHOTOS" be stored on the external drive and have it backed up with iCloud. How the heck do I this?

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
First - be sure the external is formatted APFS

Launch Photos while holding Option - select create new library, put it on the external. It will be empty.

Photos Settings, enable that library as the “System Library” and to “Download and keep originals”

Go away for however many days it takes to download all that 😉

bassett72

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2024
So, based on these 2 screen shots, I should have done this, correct?

How do I know the originals are on the external drive? It didn't seem to download anything. If it did, it was instantaneous..
Screenshot 2024-03-17 at 9.32.32 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-03-17 at 9.31.26 AM.png

bassett72

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2024
HA, never mind. I think it is churning...
Screenshot 2024-03-17 at 9.36.32 AM.png

But do my settings look correct?

And why does it say it is only downloading 3,229 of the 54,328? Just doing it in chunks?

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
I bought a M2 Mac Mini, 16GB/256GB. Have 55K photos and 380 video on iCloud. I'd like to 1, use my 2 TB Samsung T7 as my primary home for PHOTOS LIBRARY. And 2, get all my original photos in there. Going forward, what I'd like to/need to do is have any photos I put into "PHOTOS" be stored on the external drive and have it backed up with iCloud. How the heck do I this?

I have this set up.

Just love your library to the external drive with Photos closed. Once copied over, open the external drive library and then go to settings to make that the default library. You can then delete the one stored on your internal.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I have this set up.

Just love your library to the external drive with Photos closed. Once copied over, open the external drive library and then go to settings to make that the default library. You can then delete the one stored on your internal.
His goal is to have the external house “originals” which are on iCloud but not on the internal drive. There’s little benefit to moving the internal library. Once the new external is completely synced, the internal can be deleted to recover the space used.

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
His goal is to have the external house “originals” which are on iCloud but not on the internal drive. There’s little benefit to moving the internal library. Once the new external is completely synced, the internal can be deleted to recover the space used.

With that much data, the thumbnails are prob a good few gig but I see your point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.