Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ilbabgui

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2016
Hello.

New to Mac and would like to make sure all sharing is shut down and no one from outside has any access.

I found System Preferences > Sharing and all boxes (File Sharing, Screen Sharing etc) are unchecked, empty.

Is sharing disabled or should I do something more?

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
You probably need to enable the firewall and make sure that ‘Block all incoming connections’ is enabled in advanced settings.

Reactions: Ilbabgui

Ilbabgui

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2016
You probably need to enable the firewall and make sure that ‘Block all incoming connections’ is enabled in advanced settings.

Block all incoming connections - check
Stealth Mode - check

Anything else I should do?

I found this article and forgive me my dullness...
http://osxdaily.com/2012/09/09/share-files-between-macs-easy-ways/
...but if all sharing boxes are unchecked and Firewall is on with Block All Incoming Connections and Stealth Mode is also on, does it mean these 3 methods are also blocked?

Transfer Files with AirDrop
Send Files Locally or Over the Internet with iMessage
Traditional AFP File Sharing

I have WiFi disabled and use cable Internet.

Last edited:

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I cannot say. I know that some services are still running for security reasons and I do not know how these three services work. You’d have to test this. Usually, outgoing network connections are not affected, so you should be able to send files over the Internet.

Ilbabgui

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2016
I cannot say. I know that some services are still running for security reasons and I do not know how these three services work. You’d have to test this. Usually, outgoing network connections are not affected, so you should be able to send files over the Internet.

Traditional AFP File Sharing
File Sharing needs to be enabled on all Macs that you want to use the feature on, here’s how:

Okay, that one seems to be disabled if I uncheck all those boxes.

iMessages are likely fine then if I don't open the app.

But what even is AirDrop...

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
If you mean that you want to run an AFP server for sharing your files, then this is something you need to enable under System Preferences → Sharing.

Ilbabgui

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2016
If you mean that you want to run an AFP server for sharing your files, then this is something you need to enable under System Preferences → Sharing.

Opposite, I'd like to make sure no file sharing services are allowed.
I unchecked all boxes from System Preferences > Sharing, but can't figure out what to do with AirDrop and is it dangerous.
This site makes it sound like I should run that command and disable it for security reasons. I'm not sure if tinkering with terminal though is good idea for amateur like me
https://answers.uillinois.edu/page.php?id=56564

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
The Terminal command mentioned is not dangerous and I can confirm that it does work. All it does is save a preference for a particular program that responds to the bundle identifier. Disabling AirDrop that way will hide it from Finder.

Macs are set up in such a way as to minimise the receiving of incoming connections. That is why you specifically need to enable such services in the Sharing panel. The firewall can be used to control additional programs that you have installed and it will also disable certain services that would normally be running.

Ilbabgui

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2016
The Terminal command mentioned is not dangerous and I can confirm that it does work. All it does is save a preference for a particular program that responds to the bundle identifier. Disabling AirDrop that way will hide it from Finder.

Macs are set up in such a way as to minimise the receiving of incoming connections. That is why you specifically need to enable such services in the Sharing panel. The firewall can be used to control additional programs that you have installed and it will also disable certain services that would normally be running.

Thank you!

Unbchecked the boxes in System Preferences > Sharing and Firewall is Block All Incoming Connections and Stealth Mode. As of now, I'd like to cut down on incoming activity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.