Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benwiddowson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2008
Well this is one for us UK'ers.

I'd love to see an application (say the Sky Guide) that will allow you to setup remote recordings for your Sky+/SkyHD while your on the go. Basically what you can do on the web without having to go to sky.com etc etc every time. Dunno if it'd ever happen.

CortexRock

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2006
Canterbury, England
I think you can already do this on some mobile phones, so there's no reason (other than development) that it shouldn't happen on the iPhone.

That said, you can just get to your personal Sky listings in Safari, which you can't really do on the average mobile. :D

mappyman

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2008
UK
Have you guys managed to get it to record from a SKY+ channel using the website ?

It displays the listings but the website keeps asking you to login to use this feature.

Ori

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2008
Have you guys managed to get it to record from a SKY+ channel using the website ?

It displays the listings but the website keeps asking you to login to use this feature.

Yes I have managed to get it to work. Bit tricky if not on Wi-fi.
I do miss the application from my old blackberry. I am actually surprised that sky hasn't developed an app for the 3g as on the n95 you can view sky channels over 3G which would be fantastic on the Iphone.

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
Have you contacted the company and asked for them to develop?

If not, then you should as that it a lot more productive than wishing it :).

If yes, then I guess we just wait.

benwiddowson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2008
obviously living in the US you've not had the privilege of trying to contact sky. Contacting sky - you've got more chance of winning the lottery twice in one week.

geowarrior

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2008
Have you contacted the company and asked for them to develop?

If not, then you should as that it a lot more productive than wishing it :).

If yes, then I guess we just wait.

I too would love a sky app! Wrote to sky suggesting iphone app via their website and heard nothing back, still waiting 3 weeks later

iSimon

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2008
Glasgow
Go, go thread necro!

Just thought you might like to know that someone has just released TV Plus on the App Store. £2.99 introductory price but so far I'm well impressed. It has a full breakdown of channels in a Sky EPG style (i.e. by Entertainment, Movies etc.) and browsing the listings was very fast. Most importantly of all though is that it incorporates Sky+ Remote Record functionality!

To be fair I only just downloaded it but first impressions were very good - and setting it up with my Remote Record account was very easy and the test recording I tried claimed to have set it up first time (I'll have to check later that it actually set it up and recorded correctly). I'll report back once I can confirm that it worked (or didn't) but if you are feeling brave / rash then give it a go! Only the price of a pint afterall...

geowarrior

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2008
Go, go thread necro!

Just thought you might like to know that someone has just released TV Plus on the App Store. £2.99 introductory price but so far I'm well impressed. It has a full breakdown of channels in a Sky EPG style (i.e. by Entertainment, Movies etc.) and browsing the listings was very fast. Most importantly of all though is that it incorporates Sky+ Remote Record functionality!

Thats the best news I've heard all week, thanks for updating us :D

Will take a peek at the appstore now and see if any reviews have appeared for it yet

LostLogik

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
just d/l this as thanks to post above (the one above - too slow with this post!!) saw it had the Sky+ record feature I miss from the Sky app I had on my N95. Initial view is that it isn't as "pretty" but it does have a clean functional look, which is probably a lot less data intensive. It certainly loads the info a lot quicker over GPRS.

Record option is simple - there's a great big 'Record' button at the bottom of the selected program's details and your Sky+ account details are stored locally within the settings. Not had a chance to test this part out though, as I've forgotten my p/w! Doh!

All in all it looks good and fills a sorely needed gap.

Update: One thing this app could really benefit from is a "Whats on now" type screen. Would make it easier to see across some predefined channels rather than having to navigated in and out of every channel's folder.

hollerz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Durham, UK
Update: One thing this app could really benefit from is a "Whats on now" type screen. Would make it easier to see across some predefined channels rather than having to navigated in and out of every channel's folder.

I've been using this app, and this is all I can think of that it needs. Maybe a favorites list, and if you turn the iPhone landscape, it shows you a list of what's on your favorite channels now, next and later?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.