Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
So as I've mentioned in other threads, I recently bought a knock-off solo loop from Amazon, and while I mostly find it satisfactory for the price, it's started to get a bit loose. The good thing about having a cheap band is I feel more free to experiment on it. So I tried folding up a small piece of cloth, intending to tape it to the inside of my band. While trying to figure out how thick to make the padding, I discovered that once I tuck the cloth in under the band, it will stay in place until I take off the band. It sometimes shifts a bit, but I can easily push it back into position. I'm not sure yet how I feel about tucking in the cloth every time I take the watch on and off, but at a minimum, I think tucking in the cloth while I do workouts will definitely help with getting the watch to not skip heart rate measurements.

If anyone has any other ideas for adjusting the solo loop when it gets too loose, I'd love to hear them, too.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
If you’re referring to a fabric loop, you could try to wash and dry it.
No, I have the regular solo loop, not the braided one. But my idea of tucking in something under the loop would work for the braided loop too, if the wash-and-dry doesn't work, or is only temporarily effective.

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
This is just sad. Buy another knockoff in a smaller size, why bother with such hassle.

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
So as I've mentioned in other threads, I recently bought a knock-off solo loop from Amazon, and while I mostly find it satisfactory for the price, it's started to get a bit loose. . .
In other words, instead of buying the solo loop from Apple and getting something that would be durable and good quality, you purchased the cheap knock-off and now it is predictably wearing out / stretching out of shape.

As @Htsi suggests, you can just buy another one, but why keep spending money on junk? Get the band that doesn't have the problem in the first place.

Reactions: Htsi

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
This is just sad. Buy another knockoff in a smaller size, why bother with such hassle.
Because there is no smaller size -- I'm size 1. Also, keeping on buying new bands when they stretch gets old. If there is a simple way to keep using the stretched bands, I prefer that.

Edit: I also thought maybe people who are in between sizes might have worked out ways to pad a loose band, rather than buy a tight band and hope it stretches. But I guess not?

Last edited:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
In other words, instead of buying the solo loop from Apple and getting something that would be durable and good quality, you purchased the cheap knock-off and now it is predictably wearing out / stretching out of shape.

As @Htsi suggests, you can just buy another one, but why keep spending money on junk? Get the band that doesn't have the problem in the first place.
The apple band cost $50 and it broke in less than a year. So it's not all that durable, in my experience.

Reactions: Farrellcollie

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
They did replace it, but I'm reluctant to use it, because I'm afraid it'll break again. I certainly am not going to pay $50 again to buy another one.

Well, you have a brand new Apple solo loop that I assume fits and doesn't have the problem you're describing here. And you don't want to use it, you prefer to use the stretched-out cheap band somehow?

I guess I don't understand the logic. You're not going to have to pay again to get another one. If it breaks again then they will replace it again, if its within a reasonable amount of time.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Well, you have a brand new Apple solo loop that I assume fits and doesn't have the problem you're describing here. And you don't want to use it, you prefer to use the stretched-out cheap band somehow?

I guess I don't understand the logic. You're not going to have to pay again to get another one. If it breaks again then they will replace it again, if its within a reasonable amount of time.
It's way over the one-year warranty period, so I don't expect Apple to replace it again. I do like the solo loop, but as I said, I don't want to pay $50 every time one breaks, or argue with Apple about replacing it. So I decided to try the knock-offs from Amazon, and I actually like it so far -- it's actually easier to take on and off than the Apple version. If it gets too loose, I'll buy another one, but right now it's just a tiny bit loose, enough to make the heart rate sensor a bit inaccurate, but not so much loose that it's uncomfortable to wear.

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
Sure, but if you get it replaced by Apple then you should have a record of when that was done. They should treat it as a new band from that date. I do not think these are expected to break that easily. You may not expect them to replace it again, but I would. If you have an Apple store that is convenient, then visiting them and politely explaining the problem is very likely going to get you a new band. I don't use that style band so I don't have experience with it, and I'm surprised that you did have one fail in the first place.

Anyway, I don't understand why you're not using the replacement Apple band, even if you're worried about it breaking (again). If it lasts another year then you end up with 2 years of use for the original price. Going back to your original question, this is sure a lot better than stuffing something between the band and your wrist to get it to fit tightly enough to use the health features and so forth.

But that's just me. They keep coming out with new band colors and styles all the time, too. Lots of folks get new bands from time to time, just as a style thing. Which is another way to think about it, but that's completely up to you.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Sure, but if you get it replaced by Apple then you should have a record of when that was done. They should treat it as a new band from that date. I do not think these are expected to break that easily. You may not expect them to replace it again, but I would. If you have an Apple store that is convenient, then visiting them and politely explaining the problem is very likely going to get you a new band. I don't use that style band so I don't have experience with it, and I'm surprised that you did have one fail in the first place.

Anyway, I don't understand why you're not using the replacement Apple band, even if you're worried about it breaking (again). If it lasts another year then you end up with 2 years of use for the original price. Going back to your original question, this is sure a lot better than stuffing something between the band and your wrist to get it to fit tightly enough to use the health features and so forth.

But that's just me. They keep coming out with new band colors and styles all the time, too. Lots of folks get new bands from time to time, just as a style thing. Which is another way to think about it, but that's completely up to you.
Well, like you said, you haven't used this band, so you don't know how it behaves. See this thread -- other people are also reporting it broke.

And I just like the original solo loop band, it's in a color that's been discontinued, so I want to keep it for historical reference, lol. I know it doesn't make logical sense to keep something that's meant to be used and replaced, but it's just so nice, I hate to break it again.

And even the genuine Apple band often stretches over time, so I thought other people might have ideas about how to deal with that, other than go buy a new band every time one stretches. Or as I edited in to a previous post, maybe people who are in between sizes could go with the size that's a bit loose, if there were a way to easily pad the band, rather than buying a size that's too tight and hope it stretches.

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
. . . so I want to keep it for historical reference, lol. . . .
Ah ha! Now I understand!

You are clearly a candidate for the discussion thread below. Be sure to read all posts beginning with the first:

Reactions: Night Spring

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
And I just like the original solo loop band, it's in a color that's been discontinued, so I want to keep it for historical reference, lol. I know it doesn't make logical sense to keep something that's meant to be used and replaced, but it's just so nice, I hate to break it again.
I would’ve said its stupid not to use a new band, but that’s a valid reason.
couple of ideas:
1. Digest cost and buy bands from apple.
2. Buy knockoff in bulk for cheap and replace them when they get loose.
3. eBay and buy more of the color you like.
4. Try the braided loop, i like it more than the silicone solo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.