Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
I‘ve just purchased an M2 Max Studio to replace my 2013 MBP and I am beyond excited. I will be using my existing monitors, which are two of the below.

Currently have two HDMI-HDMI cables. I plan to re-use one with the HDMI port. For the second monitor, I plan on purchasing either a DP-USBC or HDMI-USBC cable.

Which would make most sense for me? Trying to go for most cost effective option, but also curious what others may consider the most “ideal”.

Acer Nitro VG271U Pbmiipx 27" WQHD (2560 x 1440) IPS AMD Radeon FREESYNC Gaming Monitor, 144Hz, VESA Certified Display HDR400, DCI-P3, (2 HDMI 2.0 & 1 Display Port 1.2)​

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
I have 2 Dell QHD displays connected.
1 on HDMI, the other on DP using a DP to USB-C adapter (£17 from Amazon).

Reactions: bluedoggiant

Sharky II

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2004
United Kingdom
I too, have a monitor via HDMI and one via USB-C to Displayport.

I notice that one monitor needs a different brightness setting than the other, but I haven't swapped the cables around to see if it's the cables or connection type, or if it's just the panels/'natural' variations of the displays.

I was worried about the HDMI 'truncation' of the colour space (not displaying 0-255) but it doesn't seem to be an issue.

Reactions: MarkC426

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
I think I’ve decided a DP to USB C cable for the second monitor
I’ve been running this setup. Things appear to be great, sometimes the HDMI monitor wakes faster than the DP-USB monitor and the other way around with no rhyme or reason.

Also the DP-USB monitor seems to wake intermittently (every 10 minutes or so) for a brief second with no image displayed when the computer is asleep. No idea why it does that

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
I am lucky enough to have two LG Thunderbolt monitors, and so I am able to daisy-chain them, and run of just one TB cable from my Mac Studio… You need TB monitors for that though…

Last edited:
Reactions: bluedoggiant
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.