Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dahl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 21, 2002
L.A.
I'm planning to revamp my Mac set up and I would like some opinions.

I'm a long time Mac user, doing a lot of Photoshop and other general design work. I'm currently using an older iMac and and I use an iPad for some prototyping etc.

I'm thinking of getting a new iMac and use it with a iPad Pro. An alternative would be a MacBook Pro w/ external 4K screen and my existing iPad or the iPad Pro. I need a lot of power, but I'm not sure I need the Mac Pro and I'm also not certain about the Mac Pro's future. Also, I don't do a lot of work away from my desk, so I don't know if I would benefit a ton from a laptop, but it would be nice to have the option.

I guess my main question is:

iMac with iPad Pro
or
MacBook Pro with external screen and iPad Pro.

Any sites with dream set ups or galleries would be appreciated. I need some inspiration.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I think that an iMac is not a bad choice given you are happy with your old one. My only concern is for monitor calibration. While I use a MBP, I also use another Mac plus NEC 24" Spectraview for quality PS work. The latter is the bread and butter set up for me.

You may want to go over to Barefeats site and look down the lists of reviews of contrast and compare. You see tests within the articles showing the two head to head.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
For simplicity, the iMac, that way you don't need to purchase any other equipment.

Dahl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 21, 2002
L.A.
I would like the flexibility of a mobile office that comes with a laptop, but I can use lighter design apps on iPad before I move to the desktop.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
I would like the flexibility of a mobile office that comes with a laptop, but I can use lighter design apps on iPad before I move to the desktop.
This gives you some diversity as well: there are times when an app is a better tool, times when a desktop OS is. The 5k iMac screen is the bomb, although for demanding color phrehdd has got the cool solution for sure. But that would probably still be cheaper, and maybe almost as fast (depending on applications) as a MP and at least 4k monitor, no?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.