Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nman040

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2008
I'm current running an MBA 2.13 as a secondary machine and would like to install Win7 on it using bootcamp. My only purpose for it would be to code C, C#, Java etc. The biggest program that I would install on it would be Visual Studio 2008 and I would like it to run as fast as possible.

Given my needs, what do you think would be the ideal bootcamp partition size for Win7? I was thinking of setting it at 10GB which would be cutting it close but then thought about virtual memory requirements and the lack of free space would definitely slow Windows down (correct?). Should I go for 15-20GB? Or could i work with less?

Thank you for your time

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
You can probably survive with just 8GB. Windows 7, if stripped (removed the games, tablet pc things) only comes out to ~5GB. 10GB should be good, 15GB to be safe, 20GB+ if you want games.

For me, I have my 128GB drive partitioned 50/50.

nman040

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2008
You can probably survive with just 8GB. Windows 7, if stripped (removed the games, tablet pc things) only comes out to ~5GB. 10GB should be good, 15GB to be safe, 20GB+ if you want games.

For me, I have my 128GB drive partitioned 50/50.

How do I strip Win7 of the tablet pc things and the like?

Thanks

joelypolly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2003
Bay Area
Don't forget to run compress

You can compress the drive by right clicking the drive in Windows and checking Compress this drive. I got my default install from 9gb to 5.7gb by doing this.

Make sure you have a SSD if you intend to do this as it will take days on the 4200 rpm drive to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.