Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doobybiggs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
I just started getting more into recording for my job and so far the phone has been great at recording what I need. However, I have quickly found out if I need to record a longer session, 20-40 mins it is lacking and takes up most of my free space on my phone.

I am debating on getting a camera setup just because of this. Also, what is your workflow for pulling off all the videos/pictures of your work on your phone to clear up space and stop it from taking up room on icloud?

KurtMann

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2021
I don't know if it's better to use Photo Stream instead of iCloud Photo. It just load the pictures from the latest 30 days to your Mac (assuming you have one). I don't know if it works with Windows. I don't think the Photo stream counts as iCloud storage.

That doesn't solve your phones free space. And if you are hitting the celling there, turning of iCloud photo may not be an option.

What's your settings? I would film it in HD and 30 fps if I needed to save space.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
I use AirDrop to send the videos to my iMac Pro, add them to my FCP library, and delete them off the phone.

For a lot of video I use a USB cable instead of AirDrop, and import directly into FCP.

Sometimes I use photos with the USB cable. Then in photos, export original to a destination folder.

Last edited:

KurtMann

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2021
There are many ways, but I don’t think you can escape the manual part of it all. Making movies is a lot of moving files and organizing.

I try to organize everything by year. Many things that are 3 years old I just delete. I rarely go back. It’s hard to imagine the use. I keep the completed work but delete the raw material unless it’s something special.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.