Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smirk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
Orange County, CA
Hi, I just bought an iPad for for my eight year old son to use for school/music/entertainment while we're on COVID lockdown. However, it's really more of a family iPad, and I expect my wife and I will also use it sometimes. I planned to configure it with his Apple ID and enable the same app restrictions that his iPod Touch has... but if I do that, then when adults use it we won't be able to access certain songs or websites or install any app that has an age rating of 9+ (I think -- I'm actually not all that familiar with what iOS lets you control).

I was curious how others have handled this. If iPads allowed multiple login accounts, this wouldn't be an issue, but they don't. How do you all provide a measure of safety or control over what your kids do on your iPads without basically castrating the device for adults? Of course iOS' parental controls aren't a substitute for good parenting, I'm just trying to make it as easy as possible for adults to use it, too. I'm guessing at a bare minimum we (adults) will need to enter the screen time password after hours to even get apps to launch.

Do you guys have any tricks or methods of use that you can recommend?

Thanks!

smirk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
Orange County, CA
Just an update...

I set up iPad #1 with my 8 yr old's Apple ID, and he used it for a bit today and everything was fine. Until a few minutes ago, when I went to use it. Every app was inactive because it was past the bedtime cutoff established in Screen Time, so I had to authorize the launch of every app and every unique website individually.

Is there a way to temporarily shut down restrictions in one shot, for when adults want to use the device?

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.