Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rantipole

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2004
Boston
Hi, y'all. This is for iMovie 10.3.5 for the iMac.

I'm currently making a home movie of a recent vacation. I've never included still photos in my videos before. I'm finding the lack of sound jarring when my movie switches from a video clip to a photo. Anyone have tips on how to mitigate this? I thought of adding sound to each photo, but wow, that will be a lot of work. Is there a way to attach sound to the whole movie, which will then "come up front" for the photos, and then "move to the back" for the videos? Thanks.

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
You can add a sound track to the Timeline that covers the whole of your Project.
Then, with the track selected click and hold with the mouse and you should see this appear:
Screenshot 2023-07-03 at 20.14.08.png

Drag the handles out as required to cover the are that you want to mute:
Screenshot 2023-07-03 at 20.20.31.png

Then drag down the volume as required:
Screenshot 2023-07-03 at 20.14.37.png

You can drag the "diamonds to fine tune:
Screenshot 2023-07-03 at 20.14.49.png

Reactions: Rantipole

EdwardMatthew

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2023
One method for addressing the absence of sound when transitioning from video clips to photos in iMovie is to incorporate a background music track throughout your entire movie. Select an appropriate music track that enhances the overall theme or atmosphere of your vacation. By doing so, the background music will seamlessly play during the photo slides, resulting in smoother transitions without the necessity of adding sound to each individual photo.

Reactions: Rantipole

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Hi, y'all. This is for iMovie 10.3.5 for the iMac.

I'm currently making a home movie of a recent vacation. I've never included still photos in my videos before. I'm finding the lack of sound jarring when my movie switches from a video clip to a photo. Anyone have tips on how to mitigate this? I thought of adding sound to each photo, but wow, that will be a lot of work. Is there a way to attach sound to the whole movie, which will then "come up front" for the photos, and then "move to the back" for the videos? Thanks.
it is done by adjusting sound. When u want come up front, raise the sound volume and vice versa.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.