Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dahoffman85

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2020
I have recently come into possession of some old but still very usable equipment and I'm just not sure what I can or should do with them. Any ideas would be awesome and I really appreciate any and all input from you guys! Specs below:

Dell Desktop with:
QUadcore i5 3.4ghz processor
32gb ram
256 ssd for the OS
4tb additional HD

Dell Poweredge 2900 Server:
at the moment I don't know anything about the specs other than a 300gb and (3) 73gb HD's in it

Just an FYI while I do use both Mac and Windows in my day to day life, I only use Windows for work and that's just for email and an as400 dos proprietary system. On my home Mac I already use it for a plex server amongst other normal day to day use. Thanks again!

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
something like pfsense
do the research thinking there is a open source router project, file server...

Thysanoptera

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
  • move Plex server to it
  • use the new box for backup storage (not for timemachine though, technically you can create a sparsebundle on it and point time machine to use it, but it always breaks after some time),
  • turn it into security cameras DVR using BlueIris,
  • grab a copy of Bitvise SSH server and use it to tunnel remote desktop connections from outside without using VPN server
  • put a decent video card in that quadcore desktop and play some games.
That's what I use my desktop and home server for.

Reactions: D.T. and Queen6

Mikael H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2014
My $.02:
That server today is the computer equivalent of a Harley Davidson motorcycle: It will generate a lot of unnecessary noise and heat per unit of performance. Not saying that there aren't people who enjoy that sort of thing - and I don't hold that against them - but it's not an efficient use of your money over time. A modern six-core NUC with SSD storage and some memory can probably embarrass that Poweredge server for most regular use cases at a fraction of the power draw.

The desktop machine is probably considerably less inefficient. If you want to learn something new, put a Linux distribution on it and see how you like it. Or use it for some server project, as other posters have mentioned.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
If your current needs are met w/o the old desktop not a sin to give it to Goodwill.

you could virtualize some the things like Plex or Pfsense and keep everything on one desk top

Last edited:
Reactions: Queen6
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.