Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flaubert

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Hi, I’m thinking of picking up a spare Mac Pro 5,1 to have on hand for parts in case anything goes south with my current single-processor 5,1. My current Mac Pro is a true 2010 Mac Pro 5,1 so I would like the spare to be the same, for maximum compatibility. However, it can be tricky to spot an upgraded 4,1, correct? I seem to recall that once you upgrade the firmware it identifies as a 5,1. Is there an easy, reliable way to confirm that a given machine is a 5,1 2010 hardware model without getting deep into pulling off heatsinks to look at processors, etc? I know that the 4,1 models shipped with GT 120 graphics cards, but I was hoping that there was a field in system report that I could inspect or have a prospective seller send me a snapshot of. Thanks for your help.

Kurt

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Hi, I’m thinking of picking up a spare Mac Pro 5,1 to have on hand for parts in case anything goes south with my current single-processor 5,1. My current Mac Pro is a true 2010 Mac Pro 5,1 so I would like the spare to be the same, for maximum compatibility. However, it can be tricky to spot an upgraded 4,1, correct? I seem to recall that once you upgrade the firmware it identifies as a 5,1. Is there an easy, reliable way to confirm that a given machine is a 5,1 2010 hardware model without getting deep into pulling off heatsinks to look at processors, etc? I know that the 4,1 models shipped with GT 120 graphics cards, but I was hoping that there was a field in system report that I could inspect or have a prospective seller send me a snapshot of. Thanks for your help.

Kurt
Yes, there are. About This Mac > System Report > Hardware Overview > SMC Version:

MP4,1>5,1 = 1.39f5
MP5,1 = 1.39f11

Screen Shot 2019-05-17 at 21.45.03.png

SMC versions are immutable. You can fake a case, fake a serial number, even fake a BootROM, but you can't change the SMC.

Reactions: kohlson

mrtang42

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2019
Yes, there are. About This Mac > System Report > Hardware Overview > SMC Version:

MP4,1>5,1 = 1.39f5
MP5,1 = 1.39f11

View attachment 837652

SMC versions are immutable. You can fake a case, fake a serial number, even fake a BootROM, but you can't change the SMC.
You actually can move a 5,1 SMC chip to a 4,1 motherboard by soldering. Someone has done this before.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
You actually can move a 5,1 SMC chip to a 4,1 motherboard by soldering. Someone has done this before.
Yes, but this has to be professionally made with equipment that that costs over 4 digits, to replace a TCQFP-144 with fine pitch it's not something for the usual eBay/Craigslist faker. The costs of supplies alone make this anti-economical for backplanes and single CPU trays, but can be valid for dual CPU trays.

You can always check the MLB/LBSN label and use the 4 last digits (read about refurbished below) to identify exactly the backplane:

MP51 - LBSN_MLB - SPI.jpeg
MP51 - LBSN_MLB.jpeg

early-2009: 1LTB, 1LTC, BH7A, DCVKA?

DCVKA? are the last 6 digits for 17 digits refurbished boards, the last digit is variable. Examples: DCVKAC, DCVKA6, DCVKAV, DCVKA9​

mid-2010 & mid-2012: BH9A, BH9B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.