Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JavaTheHut

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2010
I see three fonts used.

I would say tell your client? to scrap that hand written font for something a little more legible like the following...

my2¢

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-01-25 at 11.14.07 PM.png
    Screen shot 2012-01-25 at 11.14.07 PM.png
    9.8 KB · Views: 128
  • Screen shot 2012-01-25 at 11.14.57 PM.png
    Screen shot 2012-01-25 at 11.14.57 PM.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 463

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
I see three fonts used.

I would say tell your client? to scrap that hand written font for something a little more legible like the following...

my2¢

Agree.

As for the font, I believe it is hand-lettered. Look at different instances of the same lowercase letter, and there are slight differences.

Jim Campbell

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2006
A World of my Own; UK
As for the font, I believe it is hand-lettered. Look at different instances of the same lowercase letter, and there are slight differences.

No, the repeated t, a and r are all the same. Definitely a font. Unfortunately, the tracking is so tight that Whatthefont is unable to pick up the individual characters for an ID.

Cheers

Jim

Last edited:

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
No, the repeated t, a and r are all the same. Definitely a font. Unfortunately, the tracking is so tight that Whatthefont is unable to pick up the individual characters for an ID.

Cheers

Jim

Well, the repeated "y" is not. So, no.

Sorry, I see slight differences even in the other repeated letters that would not be accounted for even if all three words in "Unleash your creativity" were different sizes, which they appear to be.

Jim Campbell

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2006
A World of my Own; UK

Because, of course, no font ever had alternate versions of some characters within its typeface. :rolleyes:

I don't have time to overlay these in Photoshop to prove the point, but the downturn on the crossbar of the t in creativity is identical in both uses and in About Us. The capital U in Unleash is the same as in About Us, the r in your is the same as in creativity, it's just cut through by the flourish coming off the u in your.

I've set a lot of type over the years: this is a font.

Cheers

Jim

Jim Campbell

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2006
A World of my Own; UK
Congrats!

I have no idea why you think that's appropriate for a rolleyes in a font ID thread. Design, and type-based design in particular, has been my primary source of income for the bulk of my working life.

A couple of decades' hands-on typographic experience informs my opinion. If you want to offer a counter-argument, be my guest -- I'm open to being persuaded. If you're just going to snipe, well, that tells me all I need to know.

Cheers

Jim

JavaTheHut

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2010

Sorry, I see slight differences even in the other repeated letters that would not be accounted for even if all three words in "Unleash your creativity" were different sizes, which they appear to be.

The middle y has been amended post setting with the the crossing tail, if you lay the last y over the middle y you can see they fit together. I believe the differences are attributed from the differing strokes someone has put on this font, and the optical juxtaposition of Brown type white stroke Vs. White type black stroke. Obscure nasty font none the less!

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-01-26 at 11.03.50 AM.png
    Screen shot 2012-01-26 at 11.03.50 AM.png
    56.3 KB · Views: 139

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
I have no idea why you think that's appropriate for a rolleyes in a font ID thread. Design, and type-based design in particular, has been my primary source of income for the bulk of my working life.

A couple of decades' hands-on typographic experience informs my opinion. If you want to offer a counter-argument, be my guest -- I'm open to being persuaded. If you're just going to snipe, well, that tells me all I need to know.

Your supposed background is not evident merely from your user name, and you trotted out the rolleyes first. That's pretty much why me using it is appropriate.

Anyway, are you still replying because you're waiting for me to say "you were right; I was wrong?" In all honestly, I figured that would be redundant at this point. :rolleyes:

The middle y has been amended post setting with the the crossing tail, if you lay the last y over the middle y you can see they fit together. I believe the differences are attributed from the differing strokes someone has put on this font, and the optical juxtaposition of Brown type white stroke Vs. White type black stroke. Obscure nasty font none the less!

Quite right. Thank you.

Jim Campbell

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2006
A World of my Own; UK
Your supposed background is not evident merely from your user name,

But my long history of posting in the Design forum is easily accessible from my username.

and you trotted out the rolleyes first. That's pretty much why me using it is appropriate.

Not really, because I haven't said anything quite as roll-eye worthy as "Look, a variant character! It must be hand lettering!"

Anyway, are you still replying because you're waiting for me to say "you were right; I was wrong?" In all honestly, I figured that would be redundant at this point.

Well, yes, it's redundant now because you've obliquely conceded that this is a font and not hand-lettering, which you hadn't done at the time of my last reply. Since the OP was asking for a font ID, your response was distinctly unhelpful and, although I couldn't provide the ID, I wanted him to be sure that there was a font to be IDed.

Odd as it may seem, I wasn't trying to turn this into a d*ck-waving contest, I was trying to ascertain whether your opinion proceeded from some professional experience that gave it additional weight.

You may deploy further roll-eyes to your heart's content.

Jim

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
But my long history of posting in the Design forum is easily accessible from my username.

Which a) means sweet F.A. to me, and b) isn't something I vet every time I need to determine if somebody is doing something more than making the same guess I am.

Not really, because I haven't said anything quite as roll-eye worthy as "Look, a variant character! It must be hand lettering!"

What is eye-roll-worthy is pretty subjective. Clearly I thought I saw differences in the lowercase letters. That might come from bad eyes or a quicker read, but not some deficiency of experience. Or post history.

Since the OP was asking for a font ID, your response was distinctly unhelpful and, although I couldn't provide the ID, I wanted him to be sure that there was a font to be IDed.

Which is only undistinctly unehlpful?

Incidentally, I stripped the letters apart, re-arranged them in a new image with a generous spacing, and Whatthefont still couldn't identify the font.

The HTML source code available from the Authors Unleashed website also doesn't point to a font since it's all images as published to the web.

I agree, it's a font. But a hard-to-pin one based on the images available.

There. That may not be distinctly helpful, but it didn't take 20 years of "experience," either.

StevieCat27

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2012
Thanks for all help guys. The reason I needed it was because my client wanted to use that same type face on his sister site.

Unfortunately, I don't recall the font's name and was hoping one of you had seen it before. It IS a font, I just forgot it.

Thanks again for all your input, maybe we'll find out one day...

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Need some help. Looking for a pretty specific font quality. I need a capital K sans serif that's as long on the top arm as it is on the bottom. Something very near the Monacco K, but that fits the above description. The arms most also join in the exact center of the character and form at a 90' angle Anybody ever seen this? The K is one crazy letter for fonts. Who knew?

font15.jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.