Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
This came up in an online discussion “an education” versus “a education”. I stick with using “an” before words that start with vowels. Agree?

The way I was taught was that the word doesn't even have to actually start with a vowel, but the wovel sound has to be at the beginning of the pronunciation. For example an x-ray, as opposed to a x-ray, an hour vs. a hour and so on.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Another expression I heard often when working in aerospace/defense contracts was "S*** runs downhill" meaning bad or unpleasant news/decisions typically came from upper management. Its' origin was from a military context I believe as many of my co-workers at the time had military service.
More importantly it means that as bad things/news/policies come down from the top, they roll over the rest of the organization in effect bathing everyone, or everyone has to deal with it as it rolls down though the organization. :)

Reactions: ghboard2010

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
This came up in an online discussion “an education” versus “a education”. I stick with using “an” before words that start with vowels. Agree?
Mostly. Sometimes there are words that start with a vowel, but the sound warrants an a. Need to think on what some examples are...bingo I thought of one. uniform

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The lights are on but no one’s home- A humorous expression used to say that someone is stupid, unthinking, or inattentive. I known this phrase for decades, but heard this today in a song by Robert Palmer and had to post. Link. :)

Last edited:

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Reactions: Huntn

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Last edited:
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
I like "Not the sharpest tool in the shed" or it's variant "Not the sharpest knife in the drawer", the latter variant can be word for wor translated into Norwegian for the same meaning. :)
Or, "your elevator doesn't go to the top floor". Or, "his elevator goes to the top floor but the doors don't open". I found this list of just sayings for "not smart". https://dan.hersam.com/lists/not_bright.php.

They are funny, but not nice.

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
I just saw this thread for the first time. While I work my way through it, I thought I would leave three comments:
  1. If nobody has posted this yet, https://greensdictofslang.com/ is a great resource for slang and vulgarisms.
  2. My favorite saying comes from Polish: masło maślany ("buttery butter", said when someone is using too many words or is being redundant–language geeks call that a pleonasm).
  3. I also really like how Indian English has a lot of formulations that are logical but have not been widely adopted outside of India, such as needful and prepone (another fun language resource: http://www.samosapedia.com/ )
----------
ETA: I just remembered William Safire of the New York Times. He wrote a great column, On Language, that I think people here will dig: https://www.nytimes.com/search?drop...913d1fb-3cdf-556b-9a81-f0b996a1a202&sort=best

Last edited:

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Speaking of using too many words...

If somebody tends to use ten-dollar words when one-dollar words would do, in order to impress you, just say "If your copious vocabulary is too voluminous for my diminutive comprehension, we will bring this abbreviated discourse to an immediate termination!"

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I just saw this thread for the first time. While I work my way through it, I thought I would leave three comments:
  1. If nobody has posted this yet, https://greensdictofslang.com/ is a great resource for slang and vulgarisms.
  2. My favorite saying comes from Polish: masło maślany ("buttery butter", said when someone is using too many words or is being redundant–language geeks call that a pleonasm).
  3. I also really like how Indian English has a lot of formulations that are logical but have not been widely adopted outside of India, such as needful and prepone (another fun language resource: http://www.samosapedia.com/ )

Actually, I had always thought it was the Brits who seem to be the ones who use the word "needful" -- at least British people I know use it casually and frequently -- and I always had the impression that this usage was originated in the British Isles, but of course could be wrong about that. The whole British Empire/India thing made for a lot of cultural exchanging which benefitted everyone on both sides.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Added your Green Dictionary of Slang link to post 1.

Reactions: KaliYoni

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Speaking of using too many words...

If somebody tends to use ten-dollar words when one-dollar words would do, in order to impress you, just say "If your copious vocabulary is too voluminous for my diminutive comprehension, we will bring this abbreviated discourse to an immediate termination!"
This brilliant scene from V for Vendetta just popped into my head: :D

Reactions: decafjava

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
----------
ETA: I just remembered William Safire of the New York Times. He wrote a great column, On Language, that I think people here will dig: https://www.nytimes.com/search?dropmab=false&query=william+safire&sections=Magazine|nyt://section/a913d1fb-3cdf-556b-9a81-f0b996a1a202&sort=best
A lot of the English spoken in India (where English is a sort of lingua franca, especially for the educated middle class, as regions and ethnicities in the country/sub-continent speak a great many different languages) has a delightfully old-fashioned (and elegantly precise) aspect, exquisite on the ear, especially when compared to the English currently spoken in the British Isles, (and the US).

To a certain extent, it is similar to what would have been the spoken language of upper middle class England of 70 or 80 years ago, when India gained its independence, in fact, the sort of English one comes across in - for example - Enid Blyton.

I remember sharing a polling station in Bosnia a quarter of a century ago with an utterly charming Sikh police officer, from India, (I was there to supervise the election, the polling process; meanwhile, he was present to keep an eye - a very close eye - on the local police or security forces), who spoke the sort of exquisite English rarely encountered outside of a book.

We were discussing the fact that both India and Pakistan had become nuclear powers, and I vividly recall the exquisite precision of his beautiful, eloquent and elegant speech: "It is a matter of deep distress to me that my government has seen fit to detonate a nuclear device..." I was almost whimpering with worshipful delight, just for the joy of listening to him, savouring his elegant, slightly anachronistic speech, both what he said and how he said it.

Last edited:

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
The lights are on but no one’s home- A humorous expression used to say that someone is stupid, unthinking, or inattentive. I known this phrase for decades, but heard this today in a song by Robert Palmer and had to post. Link. :)

Not the sharpest knife... Another that comes to mind in reference to this one.
Not the sharpest marble... is another.

• Love
Reactions: decafjava and Huntn

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
This use of "cats paw" was new to me today:

It is hard by now — with Mr. Putin unrelenting more than two months into the Ukraine war — to avoid the impression that Mr. Schröder is useful to the Russian leader as a cat’s paw to further his own interest in hooking Germany on cheap Russian gas.

One definition:

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
Not the sharpest knife... Another that comes to mind in reference to this one.
Not the sharpest marble... is another.

Oh, Bless your heart........

Is a southern US one. And it can be said straight to their face since they probably won't realize you are calling them stupid. ?

• Haha
Reactions: rhett7660

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I wondered why, when something is expected soon, people say it is coming down the pike.

So I looked it up and learned that it's a metaphor for a car coming down the turnpike. A turnpike means a major toll road. I don't know why the phrase refers to a road that you have to pay to use. It could just as well have been coming down the road.

To follow through, I looked up turnpike. It's derived from turning and from pike, which is a sharp-pointed weapon. Now I'm left wondering what a toll road has to do with a sharp weapon. I obviously need to "get the point!"

Reactions: Clix Pix

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Actually, I had always thought it was the Brits who seem to be the ones who use the word "needful" -- at least British people I know use it casually and frequently -- and I always had the impression that this usage was originated in the British Isles, but of course could be wrong about that. The whole British Empire/India thing made for a lot of cultural exchanging which benefitted everyone on both sides.
Yes, in general, it is.

It is an expression that you will find (hear, and see written) from some Brits (your humble scribe included), and the expression is still used.

However, as I observed earlier (in this thread) to @KaliYoni:

A lot of the English spoken in India (where English is a sort of lingua franca, especially for the educated middle class, as regions and ethnicities in the country/sub-continent speak a great many different languages) has a delightfully old-fashioned (and elegantly precise) aspect, exquisite on the ear, especially when compared to the English currently spoken in the British Isles, (and the US).

To a certain extent, it is similar to what would have been the spoken language of upper middle class England of 70 or 80 years ago, when India gained its independence, in fact, the sort of English one comes across in - for example - Enid Blyton, or Dorothy L Sayers, and similar writers, or in novels and works from the interwar period.

Reactions: Clix Pix
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.