Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
for those of you who hadn't figured it out already, it's possible to take the sampled drum sounds out of GarageBand and use them in iDrum. If anybody would like to know where the GB sample sounds are and how to make them go in iDrum, gimme a shout. It's terribly easy, you just have to know where to look.

dragonfly trap

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2006
i'd love to know

let me know how to do this. i would greatly appreciate it.

also, i'm new to idrum and am having fun with it. however, i can't figure out how to record my beats in a garageband track. i know how to create the track and load the idrum default and then click on the pencil to make the beat. i can hear the beat and even see the vocal levels on the track. but when i record i get nothing. any advice?

lastly, can you make the beat outside of garageband and imort the beat? because when you load idrum in garageband it just gives the default idrum

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
dragonfly trap said:
let me know how to do this. i would greatly appreciate it.

also, i'm new to idrum and am having fun with it. however, i can't figure out how to record my beats in a garageband track. i know how to create the track and load the idrum default and then click on the pencil to make the beat. i can hear the beat and even see the vocal levels on the track. but when i record i get nothing. any advice?

lastly, can you make the beat outside of garageband and imort the beat? because when you load idrum in garageband it just gives the default idrum

iDrum can use all kinds of sounds, not just garageband sounds....just open up a sound on a track in iDrum and use it.

as for your recording issue, you need to drag the Midi info out of iDrum to the track in G band.

To import MIDI, you need to export a midi file you made, then import it in iDrum to use it

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
beatsme said:
for those of you who hadn't figured it out already, it's possible to take the sampled drum sounds out of GarageBand and use them in iDrum. If anybody would like to know where the GB sample sounds are and how to make them go in iDrum, gimme a shout. It's terribly easy, you just have to know where to look.

To find the GB drum sounds, follow this path:
Hard Drive/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/Sampler/Sampler Files

in the Sampler Files folder, you'll see a whole bunch of folders with instrument names i.e. Alto Sax, Grand Piano, etc. What you're looking for is any folder with the word "kit" in it...Dance Kit, Hip Hop Kit, Jazz Kit, Percussion Kit, Pop Kit, Rock Kit, Techno Kit

Make copies of all of these "kit" folders. Take the copied folders and put them here:
User/Library/Application Support/iDrum

You don't specifically have to do it this way, but I do because iDrum defaults to this folder when you want to select new drum sounds...easier than looking for them every time. I also put all the copied GB folders into one folder called "GarageBand Samples," just so I know what I'm using. Again, you technically don't have to make copies or move anything...I just do it that way because it's easier for me.

for getting iDrum tracks into GB, what I do is this:
I DON'T open iDrum in GB...it's too slow, at least for me. I open iDrum as a stand-alone, and record my beats there. When I'm done, I export the iDrum file as a .aif file. Then I open GB, and simply drag the iDrum .aif file into the GB window so it comes in as a loop. You have to be careful to set the beats-per-minute/tempo in GB exactly the same as you set it in iDrum, otherwise it gets all screwed up. A tip: Personally, I don't spend too much time trying to get the relative volume levels in iDrum perfect (i.e. making sure the kick isn't too loud or the snare too low), I just get a good basic mix and then use the EQ in GB to put the finishing touches on it.

hope this helps

cheers :)

dragonfly trap

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2006
g-band reverts to default i-drum samples.

thanks for the info. i've created some beats from idrum and put them in g band. but, when i save the song and try to go back and listen to it again, i drum default samples play in place of my choice kick, snare, etc. how do i make it so that the beat will load in garage band with my choices?

beatsme said:
To find the GB drum sounds, follow this path:
Hard Drive/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/Sampler/Sampler Files

in the Sampler Files folder, you'll see a whole bunch of folders with instrument names i.e. Alto Sax, Grand Piano, etc. What you're looking for is any folder with the word "kit" in it...Dance Kit, Hip Hop Kit, Jazz Kit, Percussion Kit, Pop Kit, Rock Kit, Techno Kit

Make copies of all of these "kit" folders. Take the copied folders and put them here:
User/Library/Application Support/iDrum

You don't specifically have to do it this way, but I do because iDrum defaults to this folder when you want to select new drum sounds...easier than looking for them every time. I also put all the copied GB folders into one folder called "GarageBand Samples," just so I know what I'm using. Again, you technically don't have to make copies or move anything...I just do it that way because it's easier for me.

for getting iDrum tracks into GB, what I do is this:
I DON'T open iDrum in GB...it's too slow, at least for me. I open iDrum as a stand-alone, and record my beats there. When I'm done, I export the iDrum file as a .aif file. Then I open GB, and simply drag the iDrum .aif file into the GB window so it comes in as a loop. You have to be careful to set the beats-per-minute/tempo in GB exactly the same as you set it in iDrum, otherwise it gets all screwed up. A tip: Personally, I don't spend too much time trying to get the relative volume levels in iDrum perfect (i.e. making sure the kick isn't too loud or the snare too low), I just get a good basic mix and then use the EQ in GB to put the finishing touches on it.

hope this helps

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
Are you using iDrum as a stand-alone, or are you using it as a plug-in in GB? If you're using it as a plug-in, I'm afraid I don' t know the answer, though I can try to duplicate on my end if you wish. I always use iDrum as a stand-alone app, just because it runs faster, and so I don't think I've ever run into this specific problem.

Having said that, if you are using iDrum as a stand-alone, make sure you save your iDrum file (named something other than Untitled-1) before you export to .aif. I suspect iDrum is simply using the factory default sounds because it doesn't know any better...

lemme know if this works...if not I'll screw around with it and see if I can come up with an answer for you.

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
Got it...

beatsme said:
Are you using iDrum as a stand-alone, or are you using it as a plug-in in GB? If you're using it as a plug-in, I'm afraid I don' t know the answer, though I can try to duplicate on my end if you wish. I always use iDrum as a stand-alone app, just because it runs faster, and so I don't think I've ever run into this specific problem.

Having said that, if you are using iDrum as a stand-alone, make sure you save your iDrum file (named something other than Untitled-1) before you export to .aif. I suspect iDrum is simply using the factory default sounds because it doesn't know any better...

lemme know if this works...if not I'll screw around with it and see if I can come up with an answer for you.

if you're using iDrum as a plug-in, you still have to save the iDrum file inside the iDrum window in order for GB to remember it. I was able to duplicate what I think is happening to you, and when I saved the iDrum file it fixed the problem...

again, lemme know how it works...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.