Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I tried burning a movie in iDVD '06 with a widescreen theme, but when I play it on my 4:3 TVs it doesn't letterbox, but cuts off the sides instead.
The slideshows in the movie (which are fullscreen), play fullscreen.

I tried playing this DVD on my Sony DVD player, and a PS2 (both hooked to different 4:3 TVs), and it played fullscreen. Both TVs and DVD players play other widescreen movies just fine.
When I play it on my iMac with DVD Player, it plays properly in widescreen.

What's the problem? :confused:

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
No problem. That's how it's works. Just make sure you don't make your menu content go to outside the "4:3 zone". Once the (widescreen) content plays it will be letterboxed.

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
dejo said:
No problem. That's how it's works. Just make sure you don't make your menu content go to outside the "4:3 zone". Once the (widescreen) content plays it will be letterboxed.

That is not how it should work....my widescreens play fine on 4:3 TV's

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Applespider said:
I've had this happen in the past. I just flicked the button on the 4:3 TV to tell it to Letterbox and it was fine - it was just the auto-run that didn't work.
I don't think my TV has this button, or is it on the DVD player? What would it look like? I tried pressing several random buttons but nothing changed.

Applespider

macrumors G4
EricNau said:
I don't think my TV has this button, or is it on the DVD player? What would it look like? I tried pressing several random buttons but nothing changed.

Mine is on my TV remote although mine seems to do it automatically. It was my mother's that I had to hit the button on.

It's usually an icon that shows the letterbox with arrows. Pushing it cycles through 4:3, 16:9 viewing options

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
Do purchased widescreen DVDs get letterboxed with this DVD & TV? If not, you may need to tell your DVD that you have a 4:3 TV but you want a letterboxed image, not cropped. Check you DVD setup menu.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
jacg said:
Do purchased widescreen DVDs get letterboxed with this DVD & TV? If not, you may need to tell your DVD that you have a 4:3 TV but you want a letterboxed image, not cropped. Check you DVD setup menu.
Normal movie DVD's play just fine widescreen (without getting cropped).

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
Follow-up

I just noticed that my 16:9 menu gets cropped when played on a Sony DVD player (obscuring some of the buttons - woops) where as the movies play fine in 16:9.

I will check this disc in another player. It was the 'reflection white' theme by the way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.