Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I ordered iLife for my G4 iBook and I got 2 questions that maybe someone more informed than me can answer.

1) I hear that you can export projects from iDVD so that you don't need a SuperDrive to run the program. What exactly can you import these projects into? Can I burn the DVD on my PC DVD burner?

2) I know that Garageband and iDVD come on a DVD because they have lots of instruments and themes. Thats fine, I have a combo drive. My question is, do you HAVE to install all these themes and instruments and loops or can you use them from the DVD (or copy them over as you need them?) Do I need to install 4+ gigs of stuff just to use a guitar loop? :) (obviously I've never used iDVD before, I've only been a mac user for going on 3 weeks.)

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Don't know about your Garage Band question (I'll know in 2 days) But Jobs said the archive project was so that you can create a iDVD project and burn it on ANOTHER Mac. So it's most likely a proprietary format. I don't think DVDs use the ISO format and I know Toast burns them (defaultly) as UDF so whether iDVD exports as .idvd, .dmg, or .udf is all unknown to me. But with what Jobs said, it doesn't seem likely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.