Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrjamin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 6, 2003
Strongbadia
Haha! I did it!

Ok, ok strictly speaking its not running on OSX, but it is running within OSX!

Screenshot:

Here's how it works:

1) get yourself a piece of junk old pc if you don't have a linux machine already
2) install Fedora Core 4
3) install wine version 20041019 (AND NO OTHER!) including devel packages
4) install wine-tools
5) run through all the prompts and install what it asks you to, then proceed to the IE6 installer thingummy in the menu
6) flip back to your mac, fire up an X11 terminal, and type 'ssh -Y [ip of your linux machine]'
7) go to ~/bin/
8) launch IE6 with './ie6'
9) badabing - bobs your mother's brother.

I've been trying for weeks to get IE6 running over X11 forwarding, but without any success, the above is the first (and interestingly, the quickest of any I tried) that worked!

Bye bye virtual PC, you are now obsolete on my machine. Good riddance!

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
keysersoze said:
Nice work. What did you need IE6 for? :confused:

Good question... I second it

Points for creativity and perseverance though

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

mrjamin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 6, 2003
Strongbadia
keysersoze said:
Nice work. What did you need IE6 for? :confused:

A fair question!

As much as I hate IE, us web developers have a responsibility to ensure that our websites work on the vast majority of web browsers out there - and unfortunately for everyone, IE6 happens to constitute somewhere between 75-90% of internet users. As a professional, its very important that my clients can be assured their website will work for everyone, so I have to test it! VirtualPC does my nut, takes 5 minutes to load, and is slow as anything, I can't run anything else sensibly when it is finally running, so I've been looking for other alternatives. Its not worth my while dual-booting my x86 linux server with a windows partition since this take just as much time loading/quitting virtual PC, and I'm not about to spend out on a windows computer - this is the most viable option for me!

Hope that answers your question. I figured this howto would be most suited to people in my situation, hence placing it in the web-dev section :)

Over & Out,

MrJ

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
topicolo said:
how is this method simpler and better than running VNC on the pc and connecting to it on the mac?
it's definitely cooler :D how'd you figure that out? that's really awesome...

ChrisFromCanada

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2004
Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
topicolo said:
how is this method simpler and better than running VNC on the pc and connecting to it on the mac?

I think s/he wants to keep there PC box running linux, and not have to boot into windows as that would take just as long as booting VPC

ts not worth my while dual-booting my x86 linux server with a windows partition since this take just as much time loading/quitting virtual PC

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
Nice work - I always thought it was a bad move for MS to stop supporting new versions of IE for Mac. Any issues with how it runs? I recall MS saying something about not wanting to continue to expend the resources updating for Mac when Safari came out. It doesn't seem like it was that resource intensive for you, but I wonder if there are any "glitches" (aside from the ones that are supposed to be there) on the OSX converted version?

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
I have no experience running an application through VNC or ssh. What kind of performance hit does the app take?

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
treblah said:
I have no experience running an application through VNC or ssh. What kind of performance hit does the app take?

none. the program runs at practically full speed because it's still working on a separate pc. The screen redraw speeds can be a little laggy if you're not on a LAN with the pc though.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
Now that is awesome. Assuming I had a machine to put Linux on, I would see if I could accomplish this myself. At this point, however, it would be easier for me to walk into the kitchen and use IE 6 in there. Easier, but not cooler... :rolleyes:

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
topicolo said:
none. the program runs at practically full speed because it's still working on a separate pc. The screen redraw speeds can be a little laggy if you're not on a LAN with the pc though.

Thanks for the explanation.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
topicolo said:

It runs in its own window, like a regular app, without having a Windows desktop or anything underneath it :)

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
topicolo said:
would it work over 802.11? b even? i have a b network at home, but g cards in all my computers...might give me an excuse to install linux :D

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
mkrishnan said:
Well, in the OP's defense, it seems like most adware and spyware is incompatible with WINE. :D

Which brings up something I'm curious about... does IE 6 running like this work with plug-ins? :rolleyes: I guess I'm mainly curious about the Flash plug-in actually.

mrjamin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 6, 2003
Strongbadia
homerjward said:
would it work over 802.11? b even? i have a b network at home, but g cards in all my computers...might give me an excuse to install linux :D

Absolutely no noticeable lag over 802.11b.

topicolo said:

Because VNC is definately slower! I've been having a few problems with VNC here too, it randomly drops its connection, and sometimes takes 3 attempts to connect in the first place - very odd (using Chicken of the VNC).

RacerX said:
Which brings up something I'm curious about... does IE 6 running like this work with plug-ins? I guess I'm mainly curious about the Flash plug-in actually.

Flash works, but its not overly useful as it seems to flicker alot over 802.11b, probably a lot better over 11g or better still, ethernet.

Raven VII said:
Makes me wonder if that means you can basically run any program that works under WINE through X11 remotely.

Yep, you can. The only other windows app I use is SubRib, for converting VobSubs to Text based subtitles and that works fine

I should add, the only glitch I've come accross so far is that you can't see the text in the address bar for some reason. However this isn't the end of the world, as in the drop down menu you automatically get as soon as you start typing, there's a "Search the web for [whatever you're typing]" which is updated with every keystroke.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Now I understand your reasoning. Thanks for the explanation.

Definitely cool, and imaginative.
I know there is a real "rush" when you finally get something cool like that to work, so thanks for sharing!

Woof, Woof – Dawg
pawprint.gif

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
mrjamin said:
Flash works, but its not overly useful as it seems to flicker alot over 802.11b, probably a lot better over 11g or better still, ethernet.
Cool! :D

I'll have to keep this in mind for my web developer clients. It sounds very handy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.