Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macsareveryinteresting

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 7, 2020
Colorado Springs
If M1X Chip is on the Mac Pro it may offer better specs. More cores possibly, maybe more memory, and even faster speed. For people who use Final Cut Pro or Logic Cut Pro, this may be helpful for you. M1X Chip is planned to be on the Mac Pro, iMac Pro, and the iMac. And the M1X Chip will offer better specs on all of the planned Macs.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Logic Cut Pro is Apples upgraded version of GarageBand for professional music productions. It is only available on Macs for a price of $199.99.
I think you meant Logic Pro. :)

Anyway, it is interesting to see what the M1X can do with a much higher thermal headroom of a Mac Pro. I wonder if we will see the limits already, or if Apple would artificially put a ceiling (eg. by making a more thermally constrained Mac Pro).

We see the M1 Macbook Air performing as well as an M1 Macbook Pro by adding some thermal pads. I wonder how far the performance can be pushed if it's water cooled.

macsareveryinteresting

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 7, 2020
Colorado Springs

Anyway, it is interesting to see what the M1X can do with a much higher thermal headroom of a Mac Pro. I wonder if we will see the limits already, or if Apple would artificially put a ceiling (eg. by making a more thermally constrained Mac Pro).

We see the M1 Macbook Air performing as well as an M1 Macbook Pro by adding some thermal pads. I wonder how far the performance can be pushed if it's water cooled.
Yeah I meant Logic Pro, when I typed this last night I was tired so that was why.

Reactions: KeesMacPro

macsareveryinteresting

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 7, 2020
Colorado Springs

Agreed

T3hUnkn0wn

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2012
I’m just praying there is some magical way to add some of the apple silicon magic to existing Mac Pro. Probably not possible but M1 has spoiled me on my MacBook Pro. I just want a Mac Pro that’s has a decent upgrade life span. The current sockets are already outdated which sucks.

TECK

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2011
I think this is just the beginning for ARM based chip computers, look at #8, Apple managed to increase the performance by 300% in last 8 years, while Intel only by a mere 45%. At the current rhythm Apple progresses, in five years Intel should be gone, if they are not coming up with something revolutionary, which I honestly think they will not.

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2007
I’m just praying there is some magical way to add some of the apple silicon magic to existing Mac Pro. Probably not possible but M1 has spoiled me on my MacBook Pro. I just want a Mac Pro that’s has a decent upgrade life span. The current sockets are already outdated which sucks.
ah ah ho ho, keep praying into the depths of empty space bruv, nothing out there will hear your voice.

Some news has been suggesting Apple considering upgrading the existing Intel Mac Pro but also introducing a new Apple Silicon based Mac Pro about half the size of the Intel machine. Talk is they hoped to ship one with 32 Cores (28+4) with between 32-128 GPU cores but they said it depends on several factors.

This article has details of the new Mac's:

and this one talks about the Apple Silicon Chips they are working on and planning to use in the new designs:

As a guess, soon the
Low end MBP and low end iMac will ship with a 12 core (8+4),
High end MBP/iMac Pro 20 core (16+4),
Mac Pro Apple Silicon up to 32 core (28+4)/32-128 GPU.

With this many CPU cores and GPU cores the new Mac Pro should easily smash the existing Intel Mac Pro to smithereens even if the Intel Mac Pro had the highest end 3rd party GPU that isn't yet available.

Although, theoretically, close to the 64 core Threadripper Pro mmm

The price should be significantly cheaper too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.