Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Don't worry buddy. The next MacBook Pros with in-house chips will be the biggest performance jump we've ever seen and set Apple up for the next decade. :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
They can stick it where the sun does not shine.

I have waited for two years for an update and it sounds like I wasted my time.
The MBP will have USB ports, the question will be how many. Some of the rumors had two or three USB-C ports. I wouldn't be surprised to see apple kill off the SD port though :(

Reactions: andreyush

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Don't worry buddy. The next MacBook Pros with in-house chips will be the biggest performance jump we've ever seen and set Apple up for the next decade. :)

Performance is good but USB ports and an SD card reader makes all that power useful.
[doublepost=1476793381][/doublepost]
The MBP will have USB ports, the question will be how many. Some of the rumors had two or three USB-C ports. I wouldn't be surprised to see apple kill off the SD port though :(

I hope you are right as I just found myself at the LenovoUSA site!:eek:

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I can't see the USB ports going anywhere. Hopefully they will put in 3 USB-C. If they do that the magsafe will disappear since you can charge with USB-C.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Performance is good but USB ports and an SD card reader makes all that power useful.
[doublepost=1476793381][/doublepost]

I hope you are right as I just found myself at the LenovoUSA site!:eek:
I didn't wait myself and opted for a Surface Book. Great computer, I opted for the low end model, since the laptop is supplementing my iMac. I have two USB ports and an SD port, no USB-C which is a bit of bummer, but overall, I'm really liking what I got

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011

Yep! It'll be 4x USB-C. So not standard USBs, but you'll see a lot more peripherals natively supporting USB-C soon. Plus adapters will plummet in price.

I know it's not ideal, but stay optimistic and don't worry! :)

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I didn't wait myself and opted for a Surface Book. Great computer, I opted for the low end model, since the laptop is supplementing my iMac. I have two USB ports and an SD port, no USB-C which is a bit of bummer, but overall, I'm really liking what I got

I tried the Surface 1,2 and 3 Pro and they were impressive. I have an aging desktop at home that I do not want to replace so am looking for a powerful laptop to replace it. I love being able to install Win10Pro via Boot Camp for software that will not work with Apple. This is a must for me. Love Apple's hardware and quality.

I do a good bit of PhotoShop and want that great screen of the MBPro. Only thing I do not like is the font sizing using Windows via Bootcamp, but QBooks Pro is my main requirement as I call this the "Doomsday Machine" as I would depend on it solely if my office burnt to the ground.
[doublepost=1476794537][/doublepost]I am reading the following at 9-5 MAC site:
According to the report, which cites a “reliable Chinese supplier,” Apple plans to both announce the new MacBook Pro this month, as well as to ship it to retailers. Like has been rumored in the past, the new MacBook Pros are expected to feature support for USB-C and Thunderbolt 3. As for other ports, though, Apple is said to be ditching support for traditional USB ports, as well as for MagSafe and Thunderbolt 2.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I do a good bit of PhotoShop and want that great screen of the MBPro.
The Surface Book as greater pixel density but I will say that window's scaling is inferior to that of OSX and you use OS X then the MBP is the way to go

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
According to the report, which cites a “reliable Chinese supplier,” Apple plans to both announce the new MacBook Pro this month, as well as to ship it to retailers. Like has been rumored in the past, the new MacBook Pros are expected to feature support for USB-C and Thunderbolt 3. As for other ports, though, Apple is said to be ditching support for traditional USB ports, as well as for MagSafe and Thunderbolt 2.

This has been the same rumor since October 2015. Maybe the same reliable Chinese supplier?

The USB-C spec incorporate Thunderbolt 3 as of June 2015. This means they can do away with those display port ports on the Macbook pro. USB-C already supported charging so no need for the Magsafe. Just stick 4 USB-Cs on a Macbook pro.

Oh, QB Pro? We use it and hate it. Let me know if you have a suggestion for a replacement.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
This has been the same rumor since October 2015. Maybe the same reliable Chinese supplier?

The USB-C spec incorporate Thunderbolt 3 as of June 2015. This means they can do away with those display port ports on the Macbook pro. USB-C already supported charging so no need for the Magsafe. Just stick 4 USB-Cs on a Macbook pro.

Oh, QB Pro? We use it and hate it. Let me know if you have a suggestion for a replacement.

Been using QBPro for 20 years now and have too much history to change. We have a small 8 person Network set up. Not leaving anytime soon.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Yep! It'll be 4x USB-C. So not standard USBs, but you'll see a lot more peripherals natively supporting USB-C soon. Plus adapters will plummet in price.

I know it's not ideal, but stay optimistic and don't worry! :)

Exactly. The adaptors are already pretty cheap. I saw a two-pack on Amazon for $4.99. Just grab a couple of those and you are all set until you transition to USB-C devices. Most other laptop manufacturers are making this same transition, it is not just Apple. In a couple years we will all have USB-C devices and cables scattered all over the house and nobody will even remember this.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Exactly. The adaptors are already pretty cheap. I saw a two-pack on Amazon for $4.99. Just grab a couple of those and you are all set until you transition to USB-C devices. Most other laptop manufacturers are making this same transition, it is not just Apple. In a couple years we will all have USB-C devices and cables scattered all over the house and nobody will even remember this.

I agreed. I noticed Android phones are now starting to come with USB-C as the standard connection. And my Samsung T-3 portable drive came with a USB-C connection, but unfortunately only USB 3.1 spec is supported, not TB-3.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
My apologies T'hain, I meant not as ubiquitous a standard.
Fair enough! 8) I just think it is important to emphasize it, since there are many people who don't know they are the (Practically) same thing, but with a different connector.

Personally I've vowed not to buy a new iPhone before they replace Lightning with USB-C.

Reactions: keysofanxiety

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The SD card slot will be gone. History.

The new MBPros will have "USB" ports (probably four of them).

But they will be USB-c ports, not USB3 "A" ports. I believe they'll support USB3.1, Thunderbolt 3, and Displayport (1.3?).

You'll need USB3-to-USBc connecting cables, but I don't see why older USB devices won't still work fine.

For hardwired hardware, you'll need an adapter.

You can almost certainly "bank on this".

Last edited:

2tallyAwesome

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2007
"Just use an adapter!"

Do you know what a pain this is for audio professionals who have a variety of extremely expensive gear that all require USB A connections? Buying all new equipment isn't really an option, and carrying additional dongles is incredibly inconvenient (And expensive) if you're using several of these devices at once. Most people I know already got rid of all of their firewire devices when it started to become necessary to carry an additional adapter.

A professional machine should have the options and resources necessary to be used by professionals without having to carrying a bag full of adapters.

aced411

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
Apple is said to be ditching support for traditional USB ports, as well as for MagSafe and Thunderbolt 2.
I've been using macs for years and if true this is great news. That means I won't have any regrets going back to PC. I don't want to hold up progress but if Apple can't at least put one USB-A port on their Pro model then I'll definitely pass. They'll be making a killing on dongles for the next 3-4 years that's for sure.

/V\acpower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Cons :

- Have to use cheap and easy to find dongles for my USB A devices (when I do use them).

Pros :

- A near future without having to manage 4 kind of different USB cables (Mini USB, Micro USB, USB B, USB B 3.0) by having cable be finally symmetrical. USB C on both ends. One cable to rule them all.

- Having a thinner and lighter laptop because USB C all around make a thinner form factor possible.

---

For me, the pros far outweights the cons.

Plus, USB C is not like Thunderbolt of Firewire, or even lightning (for the iPhone). It is really the direction the industry is going for lots of very legitimate reasons. Even on my gaming PC with a relatively cheap motherboard I have a USB C port.

USB C adapters are already very easy to find and very inexpensive.
[doublepost=1476847531][/doublepost]
I've been using macs for years and if true this is great news. That means I won't have any regrets going back to PC. I don't want to hold up progress but if Apple can't at least put one USB-A port on their Pro model then I'll definitely pass. They'll be making a killing on dongles for the next 3-4 years that's for sure.

9$ for a pack of 3 adapters :
https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-CHOE...-2-spons&keywords=USB+C+to+USB+A+female&psc=1

Reactions: Macintosh IIcx

wegster

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2006
Cons :

- Have to use cheap and easy to find dongles for my USB A devices (when I do use them).

Pros :

- A near future without having to manage 4 kind of different USB cables (Mini USB, Micro USB, USB B, USB B 3.0) by having cable be finally symmetrical. USB C on both ends. One cable to rule them all.

- Having a thinner and lighter laptop because USB C all around make a thinner form factor possible.

---

For me, the pros far outweights the cons.

Plus, USB C is not like Thunderbolt of Firewire, or even lightning (for the iPhone). It is really the direction the industry is going for lots of very legitimate reasons. Even on my gaming PC with a relatively cheap motherboard I have a USB C port.

USB C adapters are already very easy to find and very inexpensive.
[doublepost=1476847531][/doublepost]

9$ for a pack of 3 adapters :
https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-CHOE...-2-spons&keywords=USB+C+to+USB+A+female&psc=1

Unable to use shiny new earbuds from iPhone 7 with new MBP - priceless. :)

Reactions: aced411

wegster

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2006
Ok ... but how is that related to the MacBook Pro ? No mac or PC can use them.

Just a 'caught in the middle' annoyance for users that's more amusing from the company where things are supposed to 'just work.' ;)

I'm good with all USB-C, although I will miss MagSafe, and am waiting to see what comes out in the way of updated and reliable 'docks' as I'd wind up with one at home and one at work. Also waiting to see what becomes available in the 32"+ UW QHD or 4K displays with USB-C as one connection to laptop for 'everything' is nice...even if it would be nicer via MagSafe. ;)

SD card reader I'm feeling mixed about. Both my wife and I use ours in our MBPs regularly from our DSLR. Dongles are indeed annoying, so I'm hopeful to switch over as much as I can when I do pick up a new MBP, but a dongle for SD and heads phones seem to be in the cards, at least when traveling, + an adapter to go to projectors via HDMI..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.