Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I wanna block someone. Both of us have iOS 7, if that matters. Once I block them from my
End, will they be notified either immediately or say when they try to send me an iMessage or call?

Further, say I unblock them at the end of the week, expecting a flood of messages from her end to come in. ----or does it not work this way?

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
They are not notified. If you want them to know, then tell them.

Blocking prevents delivery of the message. Undelivered blocked messages are not stored for later delivery. Unblocking resumes delivery of that person's new messages.

Calls roll directly to voicemail. You can navigate to listen to them or not. Your choice.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I wanna block someone. Both of us have iOS 7, if that matters. Once I block them from my
End, will they be notified either immediately or say when they try to send me an iMessage or call?

Further, say I unblock them at the end of the week, expecting a flood of messages from her end to come in. ----or does it not work this way?

They are not notified. If you want them to know, then tell them.

Blocking prevents delivery of the message. Undelivered blocked messages are not stored for later delivery. Unblocking resumes delivery of that person's new messages.

Calls roll directly to voicemail. You can navigate to listen to them or not. Your choice.

If you block someone, they do not receieve any notification that they have been blocked. The only way for them to know would be for you to tell them.

Furthermore, if they send you an iMessage, it will say that it was delivered on their phone, so they won't even know that you're not seeing their message. All the blocked feature does is block you from seeing the call/mesesage on your phone. It is not a block by the carrier, it doesn't prevent it from being sent, only from being seen on your end.

activate

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2011
It is not a block by the carrier, it doesn't prevent it from being sent, only from being seen on your end.

Yeah spot on. The block is from within the IOS which is why it goes to voicemail and the messages appear sent etc. I guess its clever that they are able to implement a level of call blocking which is controlled by the user. A complete carrier initiated block request is a long process!

ry23

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2013

I have like 2 people blocked, and I set it up to block my home number to test it. When I did that, it still rang thru, then went to voicemail. Does yours go straight? I think that is a much better idea than ringing for a while first. The latter makes it seem like you're ignoring them as opposed to your phone being off..

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I have like 2 people blocked, and I set it up to block my home number to test it. When I did that, it still rang thru, then went to voicemail. Does yours go straight? I think that is a much better idea than ringing for a while first. The latter makes it seem like you're ignoring them as opposed to your phone being off..

Yeah there's a you tub video test where the phone rings once and then voicemail begins. text messages still say delivered.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Please stop saying calls are automatically forwarded to voicemail, since this is carrier related.
I have voicemail deactivated on my SIM so blocked calls are simply dropped after a ring

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011

In my basic test a while back a blocked number had no ring through and rolled directly to vm.

Please stop saying calls are automatically forwarded to voicemail, since this is carrier related.
I have voicemail deactivated on my SIM so blocked calls are simply dropped after a ring

Either I misunderstand your point or it was a tad pedant. Obviously if you don't have an active vm account with the carrier there is no where for the blocked (basically rejected) call to go.

This is my guesswork of the basic functionality: an incoming call that is blocked at your handset will basically be auto-rejected before ring-through. If you have a vm account set up with your carrier then it will go directly there; if you do not have vm it will drop into Stephen Hawkins' pocket ( and in some cases with a vm recording telling the caller that the vm has not been set up).

That is the functionality that seems to be in play from my limited experience. I defer to those who have more technical knowledge.

Watermalondria

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2014
If you block someone, they do not receieve any notification that they have been blocked. The only way for them to know would be for you to tell them.

Furthermore, if they send you an iMessage, it will say that it was delivered on their phone, so they won't even know that you're not seeing their message. All the blocked feature does is block you from seeing the call/mesesage on your phone. It is not a block by the carrier, it doesn't prevent it from being sent, only from being seen on your end.

So after the blocker unblocks them they will NOT see any messages that the person being blocked sent while they were blocked??

jrlcopy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
more than likely not.

There was a video posted back during the betas, can't find it now, but basically the "Sender" has no idea that you have blocked them. They still txt you, call you, etc.. but the difference is calls just go straight to voicemail, and txts just never arrive.

It's not like Google Voice which sends your calls to a fake 'Number cannot be reached' audio file.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Their should be a SMS bounce back to alert the sender their message didn't get through. As it stands, senders think their messages arrive

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
i had this question to-when they call what happens does or just ring until they hang up or dos it say they are blocked???
It rings until they get to voicemail. Essentially as if you didn't answer the call (except you didn't even get the call).

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Ok thanks- is there a way to block people texts- I haven't figured that one out yet.
Yes. Same way as calls are blocked essentially--when you block someone it blocks calls and messages as far as I recall.

KTJ4678

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2014
Question on blocked iPhone users

I think I may have been blocked by another iPhone user. Everything I've read says even iMessages will say delivered as normal...my ? Is: If the iMessages go thru as "delivered" BUT at certain times ALSO go thru as text messages, (like when the receiver is out of svc range or phone is off) is that a good indicator that I am not, in fact, blocked?

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
If the person has you blocked will it still tell that they "kept An audio message from you"??

if you were blocked they wouldnt have been able to see the audio message.

if you see the msg as saved, they definitely do not have you blocked.

This is also why I like most of my iOS friends to have READ receipts turned on so I can stop feeling ignored. :rolleyes:

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
I think I may have been blocked by another iPhone user. Everything I've read says even iMessages will say delivered as normal...my ? Is: If the iMessages go thru as "delivered" BUT at certain times ALSO go thru as text messages, (like when the receiver is out of svc range or phone is off) is that a good indicator that I am not, in fact, blocked?

Why dont you call them and find out? When it rolls to voicemail, its a different greeting than if you're not blocked.

squinchme

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2015
if someone blocked you from their iphone i use to get a message saying the att customer is not available does this still happen and also if they blocked you do they have to unblock you to send u a message??? and if not and they can still text you do they see ur response?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
if someone blocked you from their iphone i use to get a message saying the att customer is not available does this still happen and also if they blocked you do they have to unblock you to send u a message??? and if not and they can still text you do they see ur response?
Perhaps if they blocked you from the carrier side of things you would get a message like that, if they blocked you from iOS then there wouldn't be any message of that type.

I don't recall if they need to unblock you to send you something (I think they don't need to do that), but if you are blocked and you send a message to them (whether its a reply or just your own new message) they won't get it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.