Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
So I’m looking at buying a used phone. There’s one I’m eyeing that the seller says has AppleCare and is under warranty but I’m wondering how does that work if it’s sold to me? Does it transfer? Also is this a bad thing can the seller say the phone was stolen and lock me out of it (e.g. do that to try and get a new phone for himself)?

I’m buying from Offers up fwiw he looks like he’s got good reviews phone looks like it’s in good condition. But I’m just unsure how this all works. There’s no PayPal involved either where I could try and get my money back if something were to go wrong.

fitcious

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2014
A few things- yes AC is tied to the device. But here’s what I would ask:

1. Is AC paid off or is seller doing monthly payment? Reason I ask is because if AC is on a monthly plan, the seller must continue to pay for it under his account as Apple has no way to transfer AC to a new owner while it’s on monthly plan. Trust me I tried it when I sold my iPad.

2. If AC is paid off you have to be cautious as the seller can call Apple, cancel AC and get whatever duration of AC is left back on money form.

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
A few things- yes AC is tied to the device. But here’s what I would ask:

1. Is AC paid off or is seller doing monthly payment? Reason I ask is because if AC is on a monthly plan, the seller must continue to pay for it under his account as Apple has no way to transfer AC to a new owner while it’s on monthly plan. Trust me I tried it when I sold my iPad.

2. If AC is paid off you have to be cautious as the seller can call Apple, cancel AC and get whatever duration of AC is left back on money form.
I will definitely ask him if he hasn’t sold it thank you. I haven’t been able to get a hold of him today, earlier he wanted to meet up I was working but now no response.

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
my iPhone was stolen a couple years back and I bought a new on and had AppleCare transferred over to the new one. I did report the iPhone stolen and gone through all the steps (police report, find my iPhone on the stolen, etc etc) So it is transferrable.

Reactions: bobright
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.