Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goobot

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
if i buy online and it has a prob like dead pixels can i go to my apple store and they would swap it? or would i need to send it back via mail? or lets say if i bought it at best buy. would it matter who i brought it back to or can do it where i want? also if it has just one dead pixel (which would annoy the hell out of me) they would still replace it no prob right?

Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
If you bought from Apple, and you have a dead pixel, bring it in and they will replace it.

If you bought from Best Buy, bring it in and they would replace it also.

If it is within the first 14 days, you can exchange it even with only one dead pixel.

goobot

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
If you bought from Apple, and you have a dead pixel, bring it in and they will replace it.

If you bought from Best Buy, bring it in and they would replace it also.

If it is within the first 14 days, you can exchange it even with only one dead pixel.

k thx

billyjoegibsonx

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2008
They should replace it. I bought online and have dust under my screen and he gave me two options 1. Send it back via mail and wait forever for it to possibly be replaced 2. Set up a replacement instore. Wouldve got it there and then but as its just out they were waiting on more new ipads coming in so couldnt give me one until next week. And dead pixels are more serious than dust as its the actual screen damaged and not just foreign material.

JonnyIreland

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2010
Toronto, Canada
I know this post & replies were made with US customers in mind, but I'd like to take this chance to warn UK customers that I asked about this at my local Apple Store just today (I was having my iPhone screen replaced) and I was told that iPads with dead pixels (or any issues/defects) are absolutely NOT being dealt with instore -if purchased originally online, of course. I know this because I asked specifically about this and showed my amazement -they deal with iPhones and MacBooks that have been bought online, so why not iPads? :confused:
So, if you purchase an iPad from the UK Apple Online Store and it is defective, it must be returned & repaired/replaced through the Online Store and not the bricks-and-mortar Retail Stores. I personally thought that this was a pretty poor stance from Apple.

Again, I stress that this relates to the UK and not the USA, where I'm sure they wouldn't get away with pulling this ****.

Edit: I just noticed that billyjoegibsonx above was given a different answer, so I guess they lied to one of us. However they were absolutely adamant in their answer given to me today.

smr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Shropshire, UK
I know this post & replies were made with US customers in mind, but I'd like to take this chance to warn UK customers that I asked about this at my local Apple Store just today (I was having my iPhone screen replaced) and I was told that iPads with dead pixels (or any issues/defects) are absolutely NOT being dealt with instore -if purchased originally online, of course. I know this because I asked specifically about this and showed my amazement -they deal with iPhones and MacBooks that have been bought online, so why not iPads? :confused:
So, if you purchase an iPad from the UK Apple Online Store and it is defective, it must be returned & repaired/replaced through the Online Store and not the bricks-and-mortar Retail Stores. I personally thought that this was a pretty poor stance from Apple.

Again, I stress that this relates to the UK and not the USA, where I'm sure they wouldn't get away with pulling this ****.

Edit: I just noticed that billyjoegibsonx above was given a different answer, so I guess they lied to one of us. However they were absolutely adamant in their answer given to me today.

I was also told that my UK online iPad order could only be replaced online, but when given an original delivery date of 25 June, a different online store rep suggested buying a replacement in my local AppleStore and then returning the online order for a refund.

billyjoegibsonx

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2008
Its a bit silly there are taking online bought iphones an that but not ipads! The genius did tell me that because i got it online he couldnt replace it, but if i came back wednesday i could have it replaced then. He even asked his manager if this would be possible and the manager said yes. He then went on to print off a sheet of paper called "Genius work authorisation" and it clearly stated my name, problem with ipad "foreign material" and that it was to be replaced under warranty free of charge. Hmmm. If i can find this thread on wednesday i will update you's :)

JonnyIreland

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2010
Toronto, Canada
Its a bit silly there are taking online bought iphones an that but not ipads! The genius did tell me that because i got it online he couldnt replace it, but if i came back wednesday i could have it replaced then. He even asked his manager if this would be possible and the manager said yes. He then went on to print off a sheet of paper called "Genius work authorisation" and it clearly stated my name, problem with ipad "foreign material" and that it was to be replaced under warranty free of charge. Hmmm. If i can find this thread on wednesday i will update you's :)

Thanks for the extra info mate. The buggers didn't even give me a come "back next week" option. It all confirms my thinking though - they just wanted to fob us off this weekend because they wanted to keep as much saleable stock in the stores as possible :(

billyjoegibsonx

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2008
No problem :) unless they are strictly not replacing ipads bought online then a dont no why they wouldnt replace an ipad bought online with dead pixels as its more serious than a bit of dust! They've lied to one of us. Either they will replace it or not. But no offence to you but i think they will replace my ipad as it does seem quite silly why they would replace iphones bought online, and from o2 (totally different company, never mind applestore/online apple store) but not ipads (maybe its cause their just out) and since a genius gave me a reciept to have it replaced! If anyone buys online and needs a repair and they say no, then demand to speak to a manager as you have heard of others being offered a replacement!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.