Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

srob030869

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
Newcastle, UK
Looking at a 64 GB + 3G but no-one at PCworld or Currys could answer my question.

So anyone who has one and has tried? Will I need to Sync to update carrier settings everytime I change SIM?

I want to ditch the Netbook but if I need to carry it round to Sync when i change SIM then whats the point? I might as well keep on using the netbook (with OSX of course ;) ) and iPhone and save my money till Apple sorts this out.

sapporobaby

macrumors 68000
Looking at a 64 GB + 3G but no-one at PCworld or Currys could answer my question.

So anyone who has one and has tried? Will I need to Sync to update carrier settings everytime I change SIM?

I want to ditch the Netbook but if I need to carry it round to Sync when i change SIM then whats the point? I might as well keep on using the netbook (with OSX of course ;) ) and iPhone and save my money till Apple sorts this out.

It is not a sim dependent device. Put what ever card in it that you want.

srob030869

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
Newcastle, UK
It is not a sim dependent device. Put what ever card in it that you want.

yeah, I know that but looking around there appears to be a difference of opinion on whether you need to Sync after changing SIM. Some say no, the o2 forum says yes.

I was just hoping someone on here would have a definitive answer.

Have you tried with a SIM from one network, and the changed it for a SIM from another network, and has the 3G worked without having to be synced with iTunes for Carrier specific settings?

sapporobaby

macrumors 68000
yeah, I know that but looking around there appears to be a difference of opinion on whether you need to Sync after changing SIM. Some say no, the o2 forum says yes.

I was just hoping someone on here would have a definitive answer.

Have you tried with a SIM from one network, and the changed it for a SIM from another network, and has the 3G worked without having to be synced with iTunes for Carrier specific settings?

I live in Finland and use Sonera when there. I am now in the US and am using AT&T. My iPad has no idea where it is nor does it care. Use whatever you like dude. You are good to go.

srob030869

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
Newcastle, UK
I live in Finland and use Sonera when there. I am now in the US and am using AT&T. My iPad has no idea where it is nor does it care. Use whatever you like dude. You are good to go.

And when you change SIM cards you do not need to connect to iTunes at all?

brianjcameron

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2008

Stealing a change of topic here - sorry. But can you tell me how you got an AT&T sim. I travel to USA a lot, and want a local sim for my ipad so that i can use it abroad without massive roaming costs.

In regards to the original request regarding the sim change. I have a o2 sim and orange sim at home. I will swap out o2 for orange tonight and let you know if you need a sync.

macmedal

macrumors regular
May 17, 2008
Britannia
You do not need to connect to iTunes if changing a Sim as long as the Sim and account are activated it will work.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
You don't need to resync when changing sims.

O2's carrier update was merely to auto update the APN settings on your ipad. Other carriers may have updates that do the same, but you do not have to do this in iTunes. Just go into settings / cellular data & put in the APN of whichever sim you are using.

But can you tell me how you got an AT&T sim. I travel to USA a lot, and want a local sim for my ipad so that i can use it abroad without massive roaming costs.

Well as the iPad isn't officialy available in Finland, I assume like many of us, he bought a US import and hence it comes with an AT&T sim pre-loaded.

macmedal

macrumors regular
May 17, 2008
Britannia
Stealing a change of topic here - sorry. But can you tell me how you got an AT&T sim. I travel to USA a lot, and want a local sim for my ipad so that i can use it abroad without massive roaming costs.

In regards to the original request regarding the sim change. I have a o2 sim and orange sim at home. I will swap out o2 for orange tonight and let you know if you need a sync.

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=10029583#post10029583

I have used a UK 3 and a US AT&T sim neither of them require any APN to be entered.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.