Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
if i get the 12 pro with apple card monthly installments, Will the iphone be unlocked or is that the case only when the iPhone is paid in full? i have AT&T Prepaid an have always paid for my iphones in full but i have an apple card and if i can make monthly payments on the iphone with 0APR then why not.. Is there a catch for this or is it the same as if i was to pay in full for the iPhone?
?

Last edited:

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
If you are trying to purchase with the Apple Card 24 month 0% interest installments, you have to specify one of the 4 major carriers at checkout for activation. It would not let me do AC installments last year for the Sim Free version.

Edit: AC installments was brand new last year, so it may be different this year.

Last edited:

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
if i get the 12 pro with apple card monthly installments, Will the iphone be unlocked or is that the case only when the iPhone is paid in full? i have AT&T Prepaid an have always paid for my iphones in full but i have an apple card and if i can make monthly payments on the iphone with 0APR then why not.. Is there a catch for this or is it the same as if i was to pay in full for the iPhone?
?
As far as I can tell when you go through the process on the Apple store app, yes.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
?

The Apple site specifically says that, unless you buy the ATT model with the ATT installment plan, the phones are unlocked when you buy it from them.

I ordered the 12 Pro SIM Free model from them on the installment plan, supposed to receive it by next Friday.

Devin Breeding

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2020
Conway SC
If you are trying to purchase with the Apple Card 24 month 0% interest installments, you have to specify one of the 4 major carriers at checkout for activation. It would not let me do AC installments last year for the Sim Free Unlocked version.
This is now incorrect. On initial release of Apple Card they did not allow the Apple Card installment plan for unlocked. This is no longer the case. I complained heavily to them as there was no benefit since carriers had been offering 0% financing for years. It is now allowed for Sim-Free options.

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
This is now incorrect. On initial release of Apple Card they did not allow the Apple Card installment plan for unlocked. This is no longer the case. I complained heavily to them as there was no benefit since carriers had been offering 0% financing for years. It is now allowed for Sim-Free options.
Yeah, that is why I said last year. Good to know.

Devin Breeding

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2020
Conway SC
Yeah, that is why I said last year.
I’m just specifying to the OP that this

“If you are trying to purchase with the Apple Card 24 month 0% interest installments, you have to specify one of the 4 major carriers at checkout for activation.”

is no longer the case.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
If you are trying to purchase with the Apple Card 24 month 0% interest installments, you have to specify one of the 4 major carriers at checkout for activation. It would not let me do AC installments last year for the Sim Free version. AC installments was brand new last year, so it may be different this year.
I purchased the sim free iPhone 12 Pro using Apple Card 24 month plan. I removed the sim from my 11 Pro and placed it in my 12 Pro. It works great. I get Verizon nationwide 5G but, not ultra wide band unless I upgrade my plan. No Verizon activation fee doing it that way.

Reactions: nospleen

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
I’m just specifying to the OP that this

“If you are trying to purchase with the Apple Card 24 month 0% interest installments, you have to specify one of the 4 major carriers at checkout for activation.”

is no longer the case.
I purchased the sim free iPhone 12 Pro using Apple Card 24 month plan. I removed the sim from my 11 Pro and placed it in my 12 Pro. It works great. I get Verizon nationwide 5G but, not ultra wide band unless I upgrade my plan. No Verizon activation fee doing it that way.
I was just stating what happened to me last year when I tried to buy the sim free version on AC installments. I'm glad Apple is offering it now this year.

Reactions: Devin Breeding

Davidhedge

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2017
Wait.

So we cannot walk into an Apple Store and buy an iPhone for 0% interest (and 24 monthly payments) with Apple Card????

What I meant for OP is he said 11 pro. Which they do not sell on their website or in store anymore. Any phone they offer on their website and in store you can use the Apple Card and pay monthly 0% interest.

Edit: his title now says 12 pro. Initially he wrote 11 pro sorry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.