Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Naijaguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2016
Just curious as I know that Macs don't necessarily need drivers directly from AMD as Macs typically come with AMD drivers pre-installed. Right now I'm thinking about buying a GTX970, but the upcoming AMD RX480 is cheaper and seems like it's going to be quite affordable ($200). Will it work on Macs?

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany

Naijaguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2016
There's no driver for it in OSX and with the 970 you need web drivers..

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ther-apu-polaris-announcements.1975249/page-2

Thanks, currently I have a GTX 970 eGPU that I use for WoW gaming. I bought the Bizon Box sadly and wish I could return it but they won't let me. One thing I noticed is that I had to run a script in the command line to get the bizon box to work and disable csrutil. Would that have also been necessary for the Akitio Thunder Box?

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Thanks, currently I have a GTX 970 eGPU that I use for WoW gaming. I bought the Bizon Box sadly and wish I could return it but they won't let me. One thing I noticed is that I had to run a script in the command line to get the bizon box to work and disable csrutil. Would that have also been necessary for the Akitio Thunder Box?
I don't know.

theitsage

Suspended
Aug 28, 2005
You need the Goalque's script regardless of which thunderbolt enclosure you're using (unless you have a flashed GPU). Bizon is a modded AKiTiO box for more than twice the price.

An RX 480 will work with the Mac Pro tower internally and any Mac with Thunderbolt through eGPU enclosure (macOS is a prerequisite). You can check my progress with this RX 480 eGPU build in the Mac Pro section.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.