Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
My iPhone 8 is running like a dream. Very fast, not really any bugs.

If I leave it on this iOS 11.1.1 is it possible and will it stay this fast for a long time?

Thanks

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Why do you think it might slow down if you don't make any changes to the iOS level? If you don't upgrade your iOS to enable new features of new function then it will remain stuck in time but at the same speed you currently have been receiving.

Dave

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
I’ve known people who tried to stay on old versions of iOS. They are successful for awhile, but eventually they have to update because of a critical security patch. Other times they update to get a new feature they want, or to install an app that requires it, and sometimes they update by accident. I seem to recall that I had to update my iPad in order to unlock and restore from backup after my kid locked the device with too many failed password attempts.

I used to wait a long time to install updates, but once I started wearing an Apple Watch a couple years ago I started to install updates as soon as I could. The Apple Watch experience has improved dramatically over time in terms of feartures and even performance. My two year old watch is faster than it was when I bought it. I know that’s not always the case for iOS though. In my experience it’s not actually iOS updates that slow you down: it’s the app updates that are designed to take advantage of new hardware. Case in point is we have an old iPad 3 that we now let the kids use. It runs the latest iOS for that generation (9 I think) and performance is fine because the only apps installed are lightweight kids educational apps and simple games.

At any rate you have at least a couple years before new software starts to make the X feel slow.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
@pat500000 @dave006 @sean000

I just have this fear my device will get slow.

I’m on 11.1.1 and am afraid if I upgrade to 11.1.2 it won’t be as snappy.

Maybe this fear is unfounded but in past I’ve felt like some of my iPhones have gotten slow with software updates.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA

Maybe this fear is unfounded but in past I’ve felt like some of my iPhones have gotten slow with software updates.

I really think it’s certain apps more than the iOS updates, but it always depends on the update. Sometimes performance or battery suffers after one update, only to be restored to normal ops after the next patch/update. You can always wait a few weeks to see what others are experiencing after an update.

Whether you update iOS or not, many of us perceive that our devices feel slower as soon as a new model is announced. ;)

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015

True...but there are some bugs that are being addressed with updates. Unfortunately, with my iphone 6 plus, I sold it because the hardware was too old. You got iphone 8.It's relevantly new...so no need to fear that lag stuff and etc.

Reactions: 44267547

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
@sean000 @pat500000

So at what point should I be wary of iOS updates for my iPhone 8?

iOS 12 is an obvious one, but maybe I should also skip the last iOS 11 update too out of precaution?

Or maybe just stay on iOS 11.1.1 until I sell it for iPhone 9 in a year or two?

geekiemac

macrumors 65816
Feb 13, 2016
Do you seriously think that a minor update (like 11.1.1 to 11.1.2) is going to slow down your phone? They usually just bring bug fixes and security updates. Nothing that will objectively slow down your phone. While major versions might induce a certain loss of performance on older models, minor ones certainly won't.

Your "impressions" are not reality. They're just your feeling. To be able to make an objective, fact-based decision you'd have to measure the speed of your iPhone before and after an update. All the rest is just an assumption, devoid of any factual evidence.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Do you seriously think that a minor update (like 11.1.1 to 11.1.2) is going to slow down your phone? They usually just bring bug fixes and security updates. Nothing that will objectively slow down your phone. While major versions might induce a certain loss of performance on older models, minor ones certainly won't.

Your "impressions" are not reality. They're just your feeling. To be able to make an objective, fact-based decision you'd have to measure the speed of your iPhone before and after an update. All the rest is just an assumption, devoid of any factual evidence.

Ok so then what’s the evidence say

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
I think what causes most people to perceive an iPhone as "getting slow" is RAM. The OS (iOS) is updated over time in such a way that it makes use of and eventually is optimized towards increased RAM usage / active used memory. Likewise Apps slowly start taking advantage of more RAM in the handsets. Most apps are coded to work with the lowest common denominator. In this case 1GB in the iPhone 6. Eventually the 6 will be dropped and 2 GB will become the lowest common denominator and someday 3GB beyond that.

iPhone 6 & 6 Plus 1 GB
iPhone 6s & 6s Plus 2GB
iPhone 7/8 & 7/8 Plus 2GB and 3GB respectively
iPhine X 3GB

Luckily recent Plus models and the iPhone X all share 3GB RAM in common. I don't think there will be a precede slowdown until iOS13 or maybe even 14. This is mostly speculation... and really don't have any links or reports to back this up so take it for what its worth.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
@sean000 @pat500000

So at what point should I be wary of iOS updates for my iPhone 8?

iOS 12 is an obvious one, but maybe I should also skip the last iOS 11 update too out of precaution?

Or maybe just stay on iOS 11.1.1 until I sell it for iPhone 9 in a year or two?
At what point? Have you heard of this phrase: “you’ll keep riding till the wheels fall off?” You’re not going to be sticking with 8 forever.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012

If I leave it on this iOS 11.1.1 is it possible and will it stay this fast for a long time?

Thanks

imho its more to do with apps, and often they'll force you to update.

sounds mental but i stayed on an iPhone 3gs up til about a year ago. the iOS was fine and most apps were, but facebook took over a minute to open, maybe longer.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Not updating your phone will put it in danger of security vulnerabilities.

Your iPhone 8 it's equipped with modern specs with sufficient RAM amount. It will not feel slow for a few years to come.

The problem with iPhone 6 is the 1GB of ram, basically not much spec updates from the 5s despite having higher screen resolution.

Reactions: geekiemac

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
If you don’t update it will stay as fast as it is now. I have an iPhone 4s on iOS 6 and it runs just as fast as my iPhone 7 on iOS 11.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012

Thanks

You should avoid the next major software release iOS 12 to prevent software slowdown, but at least update to the final iOS 11 update (whenever that comes out) to ensure you are running the most stable version of iOS 11 if you want to stay fast for a long time.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK

Thanks

No. And you won't get important security & vulnerability updates, which would just be stupid.
[doublepost=1511177761][/doublepost]
If you don’t update it will stay as fast as it is now. I have an iPhone 4s on iOS 6 and it runs just as fast as my iPhone 7 on iOS 11.

BS. Runs fast at doing what? Your 4s is a 32-bit device running simplistic and very insecure and out of date software. It's a product of its time.

Your iPhone 7 will murder any previous device at any task.

Reactions: geekiemac

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
No. And you won't get important security & vulnerability updates, which would just be stupid.
[doublepost=1511177761][/doublepost]

BS. Runs fast at doing what? Your 4s is a 32-bit device running simplistic and very insecure and out of date software. It's a product of its time.

Your iPhone 7 will murder any previous device at any task.

No reason to be rude. I should have qualified my statement. I meant in the general function of the device, not whether it benchmarks as fast or can run a modern game.

Turning the 4s on, opening apps, the fluidity of the UI, and using apps and games that were made for its time is basically just as fast as doing the same functions on the 7. Of course the 7 will kill the 4s in any modern game/app and browsing the web is a lot slower on the 4s than the 7.

All I meant to illustrate is that if you don’t update an iPhone to an iOS version that will slow it down, the phone will continue to run just and fast as smooth as it did new. My 4s runs iOS just as fast as it did the day it was first installed and using iOS 6 on the 4s doesn’t feel any slower than using iOS 11 on my iPhone 7.

Of course this is not to mean that a 4s is technically equal to a 7.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I updated to iOS 11.1.2

No issues. Still seems blazing fast and actually my battery life seems better believe it or not. Not sure if it’s just me or if there was an actual issue.

Reactions: sean000
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.