Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whatawally

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2022
I’m having the iphone 14 growing system data issue, I’ve already done a factory reset and that hasn’t worked, apple have now asked me to just do a reset all settings, I’m wondering will it unpair my watch tho? Or does that pair back once I sign into iCloud? I don’t really know the difference between factory reset and reset all settings, the factory reset didn’t unpair it, the Watch just went off and naturally went back on and was still on my phone, is that due to iCloud? Thanks

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
The Apple Watch will stay paired with your phone when resetting all settings.

Reset All Settings basically resets all settings and leaves your data alone (turns off and forgets your location services settings, forgets your notification settings, forgets your privacy settings, deletes your Apple Pay cards, etc). You'll stay signed into iCloud though. (Personally, I think it can be a bit of a pain having to set up all the settings again. Most apps are good about asking if you want to use location services or get notifications again...but some don't, so then you have to delete and reinstall the app to get the prompt.)

A factory reset would be completely wiping your phone, and deleting your data. You'd either have to set up as new or restore from a backup.

Usually when troubleshooting, you'd do the Reset All Settings first...and if that didn't fix the problem, then do the factory reset. I'm surprised Apple is having you do it the other way around.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.