Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Hi all, been considering moving to Android after using iOS for years now. However, I have an Apple Card, Series 6 watch, and AirPods Pro (half defective). If I changed to an Android phone what happens to my Apple Card?

I’m guessing I can’t use the watch on Android either and the AirPods would only work with my Mac and iPad. I know I could still use Apple Music and changing over would be somewhat of a nightmare - passwords, accounts, apps, backups etc.

Anyone ever switch with all these things?

Don’t get me wrong I do enjoy my iPhone. I want something different but there’s only 2 choices that can work for me due to work.

Thanks.

Reactions: Jhon Micheal

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
You're airpods will connect via bluetooth on an android phone, you just lose some of the features. Your apple card is still a credit card, you just won't have the apple pay app. The watch won't work at all unless you want to just tell the time.

Reactions: slooksterPSV

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I use mostly Apple gear but still keep a toe in all the other tech pools, so to speak and learned long ago that for cross platform ease of use, implement good cross platform tools, which means don’t rely solely on iCloud options. So, I use my Google/Gmail account for email, contact and calendar syncing, 1Password for password and other data storage (credit cards, other document, etc), Pocket Cast for podcasts, AnyList for grocery list management, 2Do for more complex task management. I also use Brave browser on Windows/Android. All of my smart home stuff plays reasonably well with Google Home.

I still use a lot of Apple’s apps and services but using the aforementioned apps and services makes it easier to work and play outside of the Apple ecosystem.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Hi all, been considering moving to Android after using iOS for years now. However, I have an Apple Card, Series 6 watch, and AirPods Pro (half defective). If I changed to an Android phone what happens to my Apple Card?

I’m guessing I can’t use the watch on Android either and the AirPods would only work with my Mac and iPad. I know I could still use Apple Music and changing over would be somewhat of a nightmare - passwords, accounts, apps, backups etc.

Anyone ever switch with all these things?

Don’t get me wrong I do enjoy my iPhone. I want something different but there’s only 2 choices that can work for me due to work.

Thanks.
Airpods can work on any bluetooth enabled device. You just have to pair it manually (no instant pairing ala iPhone).

Apple Music is available on Android, complete with lossless audio.

For purchased apps, yes, switching means you have to reinvest again in those apps on the new platform (unless they're universal like Microsoft 365).

If you just want to "switch" your phone, you can. Sell your phone, watch, and Airpods. Keep your iPad to maintain your Apple Card and other Apple related accounts.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Thank you everyone! I keep looking at benchmarks and going "that's it? that's all the best CPUs can do (Snapdragon)?" but then I see these other phones where they last like 2-3 days on a single charge. Watch and phone last about 18 hours and 10-20 depending on usage. Right now its battery that's my main concern as I've had to plug it in while working just to keep it on especially if I'm after hours support.

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
Airpods can work on any bluetooth enabled device. You just have to pair it manually (no instant pairing ala iPhone).

Apple Music is available on Android, complete with lossless audio.

For purchased apps, yes, switching means you have to reinvest again in those apps on the new platform (unless they're universal like Microsoft 365).

If you just want to "switch" your phone, you can. Sell your phone, watch, and Airpods. Keep your iPad to maintain your Apple Card and other Apple related accounts.

I have a question regarding the Airpods and Android. Could I still get the Noise cancelling Airpods and use that with a Galaxy S21+. I have Apple Music, and I actually just returned the Galaxy Bud Pros because they kept falling out of my ears. I really do like the Airpod design and I would like to upgrade my old airpods to have ANC or Ambiant Sound but I was wondering if because I'm going cross platform if I will lose that.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I have a question regarding the Airpods and Android. Could I still get the Noise cancelling Airpods and use that with a Galaxy S21+. I have Apple Music, and I actually just returned the Galaxy Bud Pros because they kept falling out of my ears. I really do like the Airpod design and I would like to upgrade my old airpods to have ANC or Ambiant Sound but I was wondering if because I'm going cross platform if I will lose that.
Do you have an iPhone or iPad? If not, why not just buy a different TWS bud other than the Airpods/Galaxy buds? There are so many nowadays with bluetooth 5, from random Chinese brands to Nokia, complete with noise cancellations and other features.

If you are firm to get the Airpods Pro, I believe the noise cancelling feature can still be activated by hold-pressing the stem.

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
Do you have an iPhone or iPad? If not, why not just buy a different TWS bud other than the Airpods/Galaxy buds? There are so many nowadays with bluetooth 5, from random Chinese brands to Nokia, complete with noise cancellations and other features.

If you are firm to get the Airpods Pro, I believe the noise cancelling feature can still be activated by hold-pressing the stem.

I have an old Ipad, a Mac, and an apple TV. The only android thing I have was the phone. I guess I am not really understanding what features I can get if I go with something that is not actually tied to the phone. I also want it to not fall out if I'm just walking, which is something the galaxy pros did way too much.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
I have an old Ipad, a Mac, and an apple TV. The only android thing I have was the phone. I guess I am not really understanding what features I can get if I go with something that is not actually tied to the phone. I also want it to not fall out if I'm just walking, which is something the galaxy pros did way too much.
You get cross compatibility. Something like Sony's WF sp800n will work on android and iPhones.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
If you're lucky enough to have a cellular Apple Watch, you can still use it, since continuity and such should still work. You'd still have the watch number, data, etc you just won't have the phone apps to change exercise parameters or install apps (though most apple watches have app store). You'd still for example be able to use fall detection and emergency SOS. You'd still be able to navigate via the watch, play music from Apple Music, and so on. Might be more heavy on battery usage.

AirPods work fine on Android. You hold the little button on the back of the case and it should show up under Bluetooth settings. You won't have Siri, but the tap gesture or hold gesture for it should be able to trigger the Google Assistant or Bixby depending on phone.

I am not sure about Apple Card, but there is Google Pay, perhaps you can add it there?

I've been lucky enough to be invested in every system out there (sadly, I missed WebOS) so cross compatibility isn't an issue. I have bought music since iTunes and now on Amazon Music. I don't stream or believe in it since most places I go I get little to no service (my area doesn't have good LTE coverage and zero 5G) so I've always bought music so I'm not tied to one platform since iOS and Android both play MP3s just fine. I also never got into 'the cloud' so I'm not married to iCloud or anyone else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.